Pd in Silver Nitrate process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebloomer

2 years ago I dissolved 2.8 kg of Silver Dutch coins with 78% Ag. After everything went well and I had a little over 2kg of silver cement, I was left with over 10 L of fluids.

a 5 L jerrycan with a clear blue nitric wash
and 5 L jerrycan with a more greenish nitric wash
and more dilluted nitric washes I added to my waste pot, cementing the copper.

there is a good chance it might contain PMG's so I wanted to ask you guys how best to pursue this. I have only 10 gr of DMG enough for testing, but I do have 1 L of 85% formic acid and about 200 gr of Ammoniumchloride, and all the liquids might still contain a few grams of silver.

I was thinking to first get the silver out in the form of AgCl, then test the remaining liquid with DMG.
And once the silver is out, add some in hot water dissolved SMB to precipitate the Pd, or perhaps bubble the SMB gas in while heating it ?

Just want to reduce my waste pile, still have to sort, test and reduce about 20 liters of different waste materials containing, either gold, silver or PMG's :D

If you cemented the silver the chances are any possible PGMs might well be with your cemented silver, if I’m honest I doubt you will have any PGMs from coin silver so take a small sample of the solutions and either add salt or Hcl to drop the silver and test the solution with stannous, if which as I said I doubt any PGMs are present filter the chloride off and add a piece of copper and an air bubbler to cement them.

Nick the solution is a nitrate, and I didn't know it also could be tested with stannous, I always thought it was just for a gold bearing solution, not to test a nitrate ?

During a polce raid on my house, the police STOLE my jar with 2 kg of silver powder. I wanted to pour it into shot, and use a silver cell to refine it, and test the slimes for PGM's since silver is a carrier of those.

Changses are small but no harm in testing.Chanses are the silver contained some PGM, but now now dirty corrupt cop has taken posession of it.

And I think you are right nickvc, I make 3 samples of the first jerrycan, added SMB, DMG and NH4Cl to them, and after 30 minutes the results are clear;

The solution with SMB turned yellowish with a white precipitant, cuprous chloride I assume
The solution with DMG just darkens an almost black / green color no precipitant
The solution with Ammonium Chloride did not react at all, it reprecipitated the ammonium chloride.
The remaining solutiuon did not react with HCL so no silver present, just copper nitrate I guess.

Too bad, I had high hoped it contained some PGM.. :(

Back