RECOVERY PROCESS....................!!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfever007

Dear friend :
I have few photo i would like to share with you guys.
the first one is dissolving old computer scrap (cpu, memory chip ,mother board...) in bleach and few drops of nitric acid which get me an orange liquid then i heat it for few minutes it turn into yellow then few other minutes to red as the picture bellow.
Is my solution is very dirty or i still have chlorine gaz ?
What do you think guys?and what should i do?

Attachments

• image-0-02-05-425b059d460eff314fd54e9eb98422cf8c74cbe5113246b7553fe824d6d86896-V.jpg
    image-0-02-05-425b059d460eff314fd54e9eb98422cf8c74cbe5113246b7553fe824d6d86896-V.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 416
  • image-0-02-05-6fa792f151ea6e29756e0ea5fe9c86a11360147f409451786d23d58d63b77624-V.jpg
    image-0-02-05-6fa792f151ea6e29756e0ea5fe9c86a11360147f409451786d23d58d63b77624-V.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 416
  • image-0-02-04-e61385e98e4aee92f4b537b80b117bd88682434285d7c71fe8d546dbc950ada6-V.jpg
    image-0-02-04-e61385e98e4aee92f4b537b80b117bd88682434285d7c71fe8d546dbc950ada6-V.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 416
I guess I don't understand why you want to keep trying this bleach and nitric method. When you first joined, you asked a brief question whether it would work. I gave you an equally brief answer that it would. If you had asked if it was a good method, I would have told you I don't think so for several reasons.

If you can get nitric acid, surely you can get hydrochloric acid. It's a MUCH better method.

Dave

When a person is trying to learn how to do something it is best to NOT experiment until you understand the basics. I didn't come here to learn how to experiment, I came here to learn about refining. So I tried to follow those who were showing successful refining information. Guess what?? It actually worked, and worked quite well. If it works really well why try to fix it?? The time to experiment is after you are educated on the subject and have had success following a well laid out guide line.

The fastest way to success is to duplicate success!

FrugalRefiner said:
I guess I don't understand why you want to keep trying this bleach and nitric method. When you first joined, you asked a brief question whether it would work. I gave you an equally brief answer that it would. If you had asked if it was a good method, I would have told you I don't think so for several reasons.

If you can get nitric acid, surely you can get hydrochloric acid. It's a MUCH better method.

Dave

Hcl is readily available even in the supermarkets in Spain it’s sold as Agua Forte at around 20-23%.

Not tryna jack the post but I need a little help as well and can’t figure out how to post my own for the life of me. I have around 260 gs of pins from fiber CPU’s sitting in AP solution. I decided after about 4-5 days I really should have just boiled in hcl but the pins have dissolved and it stayed a blue tint for a while. I feel as if I may be dissolving gold but stannous (homemade w/ approx. 15 g of tin in around 150ml hcl.) isn’t showing any result. I don’t process gold a lot as it’s to much work compared to Pgms from Cat converters and I have only a small supply. I picked up the fiber cpus some ceramic cups and a ram sticks from a recycler for pretty cheap (like $20 lb for ceramics cheap.) so I’m trying to make it work processing this stuff. I figure worst case if I’m saving my solutions I can just cement any out with copper but am I just tripping if the stannous is always negative? Between the work of concentrating values with computer scrap and my inexperience with gold scrap I’m probably gonna stick with my cats unless the yield blows my expectations out the water. Still I enjoy the chemistry and it’s never bad to learn new methods for things. Had I not looked into gold I wouldn’t have formulated a new (to me) idea for cheaper pgm recovery for cats. Sorry for the long post just trying to explain my position. Any help would be great.

If you process pins in AP the stannous test should be negative when done correctly. If you added to much oxidizer such as hydrogen peroxide, then you could potentially have a positive test result. AP is a recover process most of the time and will need filtering to recover the gold, and further processing in AR or Poormans AR to purify the gold further.

Oh yea I’m just trying to recover the gold off the pins. Idk what the plating karat is but I was gonna hcl and bleach it to further purify it and precip with smb. Either way saving my solutions in and adding copper will correct any error aside from maybe a few extra washes to get rid of any copper chloride?

Edit: and I think I did over oxidize: I didn’t realize I couldnt add more to the solution once there was already foils. The process had taken like a week and It was light blue so I figured maybe I didn’t add enough bc that’s what I’d do with nitric usually as the solution stopped reacting but I could have over did it with the h202 and I also didn’t have it on any heat 3/7 days.

If you over done the H2O2 then stannous is your friend. It will tell you if you have gold in solution. As for the left over AP, it may still be usable if you have more material to process. Filter out the gold, and save it for next time, or follow the thread on treating your waste before disposing of it.

Dealing with waste can be found here.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1300

If you overdo the peroxide you tend to find that the copper you are dissolving precipitates out any gold that you took up by being heavy handed with the peroxide. I don't think I ever had a gold pregnant AP solution that was working on plating.

Like anachronism I have never had an AP solution give a positive test, but the remote possibility is there. Anyway here is a more exacting link to treating your waste.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=10539

This link is from the library, remember to check there first as I sometimes forget about that section.

Ok so I recovered the vast majority of gold from the ceramic cpus and the ram sticks. But still the pins from these fiber cpus
Will not fully dissolve in the ap solution. I left them alone on heat for a few days to see if it would dissolve them but the pins just clumped together and are now hard as a rock. The gold has flaked off the vast majority of them and I have filtered out as much as I can but I can still visibly see that there’s a good bit more foils left that’s stuck in and around this pin rock that formed. I’m not sure what metals were under the gold. Some had to dissolve in order for the gold to flake off and theres not gold still plated on the pins but it is clumped in with the pins in this “rock” that’s formed.

The metal is iron or an iron alloy, check with a magnet.
If you have copper chloride in solution it will cement out and could create a solid chunk of partly dissolved iron, copper and gold foils.

I used straight HCl, a bit heat (luke warm) and some time to dissolve the pins last time I ran a similar batch (black fiber pentium CPU:s). I didn't use copper chloride so it didn't clump together.

Göran

Back