Test for Gold...........

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfever007

Dear friends:
Thank you again for your help guys and sharing your knowledge............. :p
I want to ask about the stannous chloride test solution, when i add the SnCl2 to my AR ,my solution turn to transparent :roll: ?!! what does that mean ? too much nitric :?: ? i have no gold in my AR ? :shock:
Bearing in mind my stannous was made of SnCl2 "powder" dissolve in HCL , also my AR was made from dissolved CPU pin.
Any ideas ...........? :idea:
Best regards

What exactly do you mean with
goldfever007 said:
when i add the SnCl2 to my AR
The reason I'm asking is because that is not how I would describe it.

"Dissolved CPU pin", did you only dissolve one pin? How much? Any metal left? Amount of chemicals used? Volume? What type of CPU?

Göran

Thank you for your response g_axelsson:
To answer your question:
1-I meant by What exactly do you mean with "when i add the SnCl2 to my AR" is i add stannous chloride solution to my AR solution.
2-I dissolved 430g of Intel Pentium Pro Ceramic CPU pins , i had used 4-1 HCL+HNO3.
I may get other metal left, because i didn't dissolve base metal first i directly use AR. :?

If you have any base metal left the gold will have cemented back out of solution and back onto the base metals.
It’s also a bad idea to add stannous to your AR as it will form colloidal gold which is hard to filter and makes recovery much harder, if testing a solution take a small sample of your suspected pregnant solution and add a drop of stannous to that.

We never add stannous to our AR solution.

Watch the videos at the bottom of this page :
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Stannous_chloride

And just as nickvc wrote, if you have metal left after dissolving then most probably any gold in solution have cemented back on the undissolved metal.

Göran

I meant by "add stannous to my AR solution" a small sample of my pregnant solution , add a drops of stannous to that....that's it.................the thing is it turn to transparant, not black as usually.... :shock:

If it doesn't turn black, and your stannous has been checked with a sample solution to make sure it works properly then there is no gold in solution.

Everyone should have a small amount of "standard" solution they know has gold in it. If a stannous test is negative, then test the stannous solution on the standard solution. If it does not react, then it's time to make new stannous. If it does, then there is probably no gold in the solution you're testing.

Dave

To test your stannous take a few pins and fully dissolve in AR that should prove one way or other whether it works.

Well done guys thank you so much for your help :) , i followed your advice "gold have cemented back on the undissolved metal" 8) , so i get back to my material again and use fresh AR then i filter it , and the test was positive "dark brown ". :p
I am happy that i didn't throw my material........ :D

Check if the silicon dies are still attached to the ceramics, if they are, there is more gold to be recovered...
from 5 Intel Pentium Pro CPUs I would expect 1.5g-1.75g Au

Back