Assistance understanding stannous chloride test results

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boarteats

(Edit... apologies for the rambling post. This is all pretty new to me and I'm having difficulty understanding test results that are less than absolutely conclusive one way or the other.)

I'd like to use stannous chloride testing against multiple small samples of crushed rock to identify potential sources of precious metals. Rational here is that this approach would be faster than crushing larger amounts of rock followed by panning. Has anyone had success with this approach? Are there reasons that this might not be a good idea?

Below is my initial attempt.
1. Crushed samples
2. Covered samples in AR for an hour with occasional stirring
3. Neutralized nitric with urea
4. Did not filter AR since samples are for testing only
5. Dipped Qtip into AR, one per sample
6. Placed Qtips on paper towel
7. Poured stannous chloride onto each Qtip

In the pic below, sample 4 (farthest right) showed a yellow/orange color after application of stannous chloride. Pretty much same color as Qtip after dipping it into sample but before stannous chloride. Perhaps, a bit more yellow. Sample 2 Qtip lost all color after application of stannous chloride but then developed a very slight yellow color. All other samples' Qtips lost all color after application of stannous chloride.

I've read that a yellow or orange response is consistent with Pt. I'm wondering if the results are so subtle that I should consider all tests to be negative or I should retest sample 2 and sample 4 with filtered AR to rule out possibility that some particulate matter on Qtip is responsible for yellow color instead of dissolved Pt.

IMG_2561.jpg

From "stannous chloride use":
The colors should appear with the appropriate color of metal powder, generally black (except gold – chocolate).

Lino1406 said:
From "stannous chloride use":
The colors should appear with the appropriate color of metal powder, generally black (except gold – chocolate).

From what I've read, color also depends on concentration. For example, Pt results can range from dark brown --> orange --> yellow. Correct?

Lino1406 said:
No, this comes in parallel

Lino's right. To add some meat to the bones. If (for example) you test positive for gold in Stannous you can get an idea of how much gold there is by how fast it goes "black" and how deep a black it is.

anachronism said:
Lino1406 said:
No, this comes in parallel

Lino's right. To add some meat to the bones. If (for example) you test positive for gold in Stannous you can get an idea of how much gold there is by how fast it goes "black" and how deep a black it is.

Ok. Cool. Results I’ve had for gold have all been really clear. I’ve gotten either strong positive result or test sample didn’t react at all. On occasion, I get something like this where I end up with a pale orange/yellow color. Sounds like I should treat these as negative results (or inconclusive, at best).

There is a entire thread on testing rock or ore
And it's way beyond the scope of electronic waste or jewelry
If I remember right there's over 179 chemicals just to test not to actually refine
Maybe someone can iterate on this
I remember something like if a chemist came to my mine to figure out how I would recover precious metals based on lots of things and you tried the same procedure on your mine which is right next to my mine ...you die cause your rock had arsenic in it....
Good luck steyr223 rob

steyr223 said:
If I remember right there's over 179 chemicals just to test not to actually refine
Maybe someone can iterate on this
I remember something like if a chemist came to my mine to figure out how I would recover precious metals based on lots of things and you tried the same procedure on your mine which is right next to my mine ...you die cause your rock had arsenic in it....
Good luck steyr223 rob

I'll look for that thread. I'm all for not dying!

Think that I might have found at least one host rock type that is delivering both the gold and manganese to my stream. I've been running across chunks of some mafic igneous rock variety with small patches of visible gold and lots of manganese. ....maybe gabbro...

goldfever007 said:
Did you roast the ore ? otherwise you may have gold and stannous will not work properly....

I generally do. I don't recall if I did for this batch. Might not have. I know that sulfides can be problematic when smelting ore. Didn't consider that sulfides could also interfere with the SCl testing. Thanks for info!

FrugalRefiner said:
boarteats said:
steyr223 said:
I'll look for that thread. I'm all for not dying!
It's stickied at the top of the Prospecting, Mining, Ore Concentrates & Geochemical section of the forum: Quick Qualitative Testing of Rocks and Ore.

Dave

For me, one of the big take always from the abovemented thread is that you really have to isolate and test specific, small samples. Can't just test a pan full of concentrates. Pull out samples to test for gold, platinum, etc. Certainly, much more efficient use of expensive chemicals. Seems obvious in retrospect, but really wasn't when I first jumped into prospecting. Spent a little money for a more appropriate test kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
Love the isolation/test tube approach. I think this pic nicely illustrates its value. All samples came from same concentrate pile. From left to right samples are suspected PGM, suspected gold (must have been some copper given green color), and unknown.

The suspected PGM sample AR turned yellow and is consuming quite a lot of nitric. I’ve added additional nitric 4 times so far after solution became quiescent. Each time dissolution activity restarted. It’s still going! Had to add additional nitric to the suspected gold sample twice. The unknown sample didn’t require any additional nitric.

Still need to carry out SnCl test on these samples to confirm gold and/or PGM.

2D467B19-E949-4BBA-9705-2A7B0F9A7EDB.jpeg

Hrmmmm.... well, the unknown sample (red) was a strong positive for platinum. Didn't expect that result. Had some extra nitric in the suspected PGM sample (yellow). I'm trying out the evaporation approach with this one, so can't test yet. I tried neutralizing the extra nitric with urea on the presumed gold sample (green). I don't think that urea is working very well for me. Maybe it's the quality. I could see gold mixed with the copper and even mashed it with a hammer to be sure that it was malleable, so I'm surprised that I didn't get a positive test result for gold. Had odd, inconclusive result with SnCl test instead. Think that I'll switch to sulfamic acid for next test.

Assuming for a moment that there was gold and that using urea is causing problems, can I save this sample for retesting or is it a lost cause?

Back