Confusing Stannous Chloride Results

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaughlin79

Been A while since I’ve been on here and in that time I started getting to know catalytic converters and processing them.

I first started out but just throwing everything in big container and trying to refine it without doing any kind of cleaning. I knew better and don’t know why I did it. But since then I started to do a HCl soak to rid of any contaminants.

I know that hydrochloric acid by itself will not dissolve gold,platinum or palladium or at least will not dissolve any amount worth worrying about, without it being mixed with another agent. So this is where I I’m confused.

I just tested a solution that has catalytic converter internans soaking in it with Stannous and got odd confusing results. Now in this solution should only be iron a little copper and maybe aluminum bc I only poured HCl on it. Not even water mixed with it and no heat at all except for what was generated by the reaction. My test pictures below. It starts as a lime green solution on q-tip then as soon as the Stannous is dropped on it,it immediately darkens then a orangish colors starts coming out and then goes the a orange stripe then orange green and then blue green.

Now everything I’ve read tells me that I have platinum and palladium in solution and the only thing I added was muriatic acid,nothing else. I wouldn’t think iron or even copper would do this bc I’ve tested acid peroxide for gold it never gave me results like this. I know I need keep reading and I’m fairly new to this but this one is a stumper. Thanks 2CE6A14C-C55D-499B-AC60-4789FA8F074A.jpegF894F6BD-2BF3-471E-A6BD-186FB75EA31A.jpeg6CA1E9EE-0D08-468A-ACE8-6025F5322274.jpeg

I believe that Pd in very fine form can dissolve in Hcl but I’m not sure what amount we are talking about it’s probably small amounts but do research it, also be careful messing with cats you are dealing with some nasty toxic solutions and salts.

Thank you very much. Absolutely, safety first. I actually bought a bunch of extra gloves for this project. I am going to look more into the HCl palladium too. I didn’t know how dangerous platinum metals were to refine and for that reason I need to weigh the risks and decide if I want to continue. I’ve done gold and silver but platinum seems to be a different animal from what I’m getting.I have a decision to make but thank y’all again.

I totally forgot and just remembered when I went out back to look at the solution and it hit me. I put a piece of copper in the solution and there is actually a dark layer that cemented out on the copper and it fell off when I moved it. This is interesting.

I think that there is one oxidation state of palladium that can be dissolved in HCl.

If it is needed... according to Hoke, alcohol can be used to reduce palladium from Pd(IV) to Pd(II). Don't know if it would help anything as I don't remember which palladium oxide it was that could be dissolved in HCl.

Ref : http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11598&p=113537&hilit=palladium+oxide+alcohol#p113537

Göran

Back