Little experiment....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfever007

Dear folks:
Today i want to share with you this strange experiment and i want all of you share with me your opinion.
So , i mix 1 g gold button with half gram of mercury ,the gold turn into silver color.
Then i boil it in lime solution until the gold recover it's yellow color.
The thing that the gold gain half gram weight without loosing it's carat ( 18 carat).
Can anyone explain what happen exactly ? :arrow: :idea:

goldfever007 said:
Dear folks:
Today i want to share with you this strange experiment and i want all of you share with me your opinion.
So , i mix 1 g gold button with half gram of mercury ,the gold turn into silver color.
Then i boil it in lime solution until the gold recover it's yellow color.
The thing that the gold gain half gram weight without loosing it's carat ( 18 carat).
Can anyone explain what happen exactly ? :arrow: :idea:

You should find a safer hobby.

My thoughts are that you did not perform an experiment. You mixed up your materials/chemicals with no understanding of what the results would be or how dangerous it could be. You seem to have a pattern of this bad habit as well. Heed jimdoc's advice and find a safer hobby to play in.

Yeah, and you contaminated your touchstone with mercury, added acid and created mercury salt that is easily absorbed through the skin. You went from a toxic metal to an extremely toxic water soluble metal salt.

Acute lethal dose is 25 mg/kg orally or 75 mg/kg via the skin.

Long term effect from low level exposure... The substance is toxic to kidneys, lungs, the nervous system, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.
DO NOT FOOL AROUND WITH MERCURY!!!

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924618

Göran

Back