Gold Filled,and RGP Watchband Caps..Refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo12

I have a lot of Vintage Watchband Pieces From The 50's-60's That I Know Is Either GF or RGP

I know you are not suppose to mix BUT

I am able to take cap off of links

I am not able to separate materiel because entire band is not present....Just Links therefore not marked..

Question is What Method Should I use To Refine-

Thank You

Welcome to the forum.
With a mixed batch I would perhaps try AP to remove as much base metal as possible, incinerate the remaining powders and put into a beaker and add Hcl put into heat and again dissolve as much base metal as possible, this will remove any tin, rinse and dissolve in reagents of your choice.

Thank You for responding My Follow Up Question Would Be ....
If Some Stainless Springs (like the Spring inside GF Spring Rings ) is not removed any problems ??

sorry it took so long for reply

The general consensus on the forum is remove as much base metal as possible by physical means before putting into reagents, less trash in less out, I know they are a pain to remove but I’d do it anyway, not sure how many you have but if it’s a few hundred grams then it won’t take long.

Okay here goes I'm doing a large refining of gold filled product. What happened during the nitric process is I ended up with a lot of colloidal gold ?... filtered material first time and let settle overnight, however when I went to re filter I noticed at the bottom of my nitric add silver chloride? so now I have silver chloride in my filters along with the colloidal gold I know I'm supposed to incinerate but should I incinerate my filters as well ?I have over a hundred that are loaded with gold as well as silver...... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200117_204412_0.jpgIMG_20200117_204349_9.jpgIMG_20200117_204335_8.jpg

Update Last Photo Whit I did is took some Product from dried filters and added straight HCL Left in a Couple of Minutes Rinsed with distilled water and all is Purple[/img[ATTACH type="full" alt="IMG_20200117_204423_5.jpg"]43053._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Oh and by the way I am still trying to figure what the white metal is that was bonded to some of the of the Watchband tops 1960's[ATTACH type="full" alt="IMG_20200117_211125_6.jpg"]43054._xfImport[/ATTACH]... it will de-solve in Nitric Slowly AND it Is Magnetized.....

Thank You............

jimbo12 said:
Okay here goes I'm doing a large refining of gold filled product. What happened during the nitric process is I ended up with a lot of colloidal gold ?... filtered material first time and let settle overnight, however when I went to re filter I noticed at the bottom of my nitric add silver chloride?

If you're using nitric to dissolve base metals, you won't dissolve gold so you won't have colloidal gold. Until you add a chloride, you also will not have silver chloride.

Dave

Back