Convert kiln to melt gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldscraphobby

Hi,
I picked this up at an auction. Its electric and the gauge says it goes to 2500.
Instead of making a homemade furnace with fire brick this was cheap and has the fire brick chamber already made.
so I thought I might be able to use it to melt my powder maybe convert it to use propane/mapp.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best location of the tourch nozzel? Vent holes, etc.
The inside dimensions are ~9x9x5
There is another one I can get that is a little smaller, would that be better?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20181014_162354.jpg
    20181014_162354.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 157
  • 20181014_162406.jpg
    20181014_162406.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 157
You may have to replace the heating elements if it's not working as is...but don't ruin a good furnace chasing what you can accomplish with the right torch and a $12 high sided melting dish.

This company will be able to help you.

https://www.euclids.com/index.php?cat_name=kiln-elements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does turn on, wasn't able to do a full test.
I'll run it full and see what happens.

Any thought on a test to do, I don't want to test with my gold powder, anything I can put in it to do a simple test to see if it actually gets hot enough (verify the gauge)?

Thanks

Copper should be a good test. Even though a metal is listed as melting at a given temperature, it could take several hundred more degrees to get it fluid enough to pour smoothly. I have never melted gold in my little gas furnace, but copper melts pretty good and will pour smooth if I don't overload the crucible.

I noticed that the furnaces I see on here and others seem to have a good amount of venting.
With the door on this closed it seems pretty seal up.
What will happen with the gases/fumes in this? Will the gold be dirtier?
Thanks

If you melt copper, add some charcoal pieces to the top of the melt, that way you create a reducing atmosphere above the melt and reduce oxidation of the copper. That's not a problem when melting precious metals.

I would love to have a furnace like that, I would use it for my copper scrap, casting anodes. :D

Göran

Yeah, the price isn't an issue but shipping is. ... unless you can stuff it inside a flat rate envelope. :lol:

Göran

Back