solutions containing palladium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

in a solution containing palladium,if one adds stanous chloride crystal,what colour you will obtain?in a gold solution solution one obtains a black colour ,when stanous chloride crystal is added--- i obtained a strong yellow collor, and would like a confirmation,from other members

Positive SnCl2 test should end with black (gold - brown) powder which gives color impression when combined with solution colors. In the case of palladium several colors appear, not just one

Thanks Lino for the information-
although i generally know the colors of solutions containing precious metals when using stanous chloride,i was surprised yesterday by the test that expected gold(black-brown color) and got strong yellow color--- now, i am
going into details of what happened-----plated copper wires with palladium,was put in nitic acid,got collored gold ,foils and supossed Rh foils floating in the now blue copper solution with palladium(tested with stanous chloride ,and with dimetyl glioxime(yellow fluffy powder)---filtrated the foils out of the nitric
solution solution ----the foils from the filter paper was attacked with ar---gold foils went into solution,and the supossed rh fols remained in the ar solution===filtrated the rh foils out and tested the gold solution with stanous chloride (should give brown-black collor)---TO my surprise the stanous test gave a strong yellow color----From this ,i concluded that the nitric solution did not dissolve all the paladium in the plated wires----the pd,not dissolved in the nitric solution,stayed mixed with the gold foils and Rh foils in the filter papers--- the ar dissolved the gold foils and the pd ---and the rh foils,i suspect that is not rh ,but pdo(very dificult to dissolve in ar---the pdo or rh powder left after the in the ar ,is filtrated out,and then put in a hcl soluton---if becames red solution,proves that it was pdo---if remains hcl natural color ,it meanss that the foils is rh-----

Pd can be red, yellow or orange when first added and then slowly turn green when tested with stannous chloride.

Back