reducing rh sulphate solution to rh using formic acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

Is it possible to recuperate rh from a rh sulphate solution, using formic acid?any special measure have to be taken? Up to now ,i recuperate rh by cementation with,zinc or iron powder----i think that reducing with an acid like formic, or hidrazine is quicker and cleaner -------please ,i need this information----thanks and regards to all ------Arthur kierski

I found this Arthur, https://books.google.com/books?id=rLiSDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA207&lpg=PA207&dq=reducing+rhodium+sulfate+with+hydrazine&source=bl&ots=caGYwPqwA4&sig=susBL63q4TcqbpakMCvhoRoQQgw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim4oHx77PeAhXpIjQIHY1mBnk4ChDoATAAegQIAxAB#v=onepage&q=reducing%20rhodium%20sulfate%20with%20hydrazine&f=false

Notice how dilute this is done. 2ml diluted to 100ml and then brought to a neutral ph.
It is a method to determine rh concentration of a plating solution, so not really very practical for treating bulk solutions.
I am quite sure it would work less dilute perhaps not reducing all the rh, but you could zinc out the rest.
Lou?

We know that palladium reduction with formic acid (acidic ammonium formate actually) necessitates heating, although it is thermodynamically favorable. Rhodium reduction with formic acid is a bit less favorable then Pd's so it might work with heating - worth trying

Back