recovery from ink ribbons!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckbitt

Hi all you out there on GRF

So, im having a very annoying problem with the ink cardrige gold plated " ribbons "

Cant seem to figure out, how to get the acid in between the two layers of plastic and dissolve the gold, without cutting them into very small strips!

Any ideas og experience will be great!

Pictures attached are from a run in Aqua Regia
20181116_150819.jpg
20181116_150926.jpg
View attachment 2
20181116_151012.jpg
20181116_150935.jpg

Attachments

• 20181116_150826.jpg
    20181116_150826.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 296
There is very little gold on the ink connector and nothing inside the ribbon.

I usually cut off the gold plated parts and throw it in with filters and other stuff to incinerate. The ribbons goes with my brown boards.

Göran

Unless you have 20 pounds or so hold on to them. One way, to get to your question, is to use a razor blade and separate the two layers, that is fairly tedious, not to mention a good way to get cut. You can wait until you have other materials and run them last, right before denoxing the solution. Follow Gorans advice, which I wish I had thought of a few years back. While they look real good, they only produce tiny amounts of gold. I still save them when I run across them, but haven't processed any by themselves in a few years.

Shark said:
Unless you have 20 pounds or so hold on to them. One way, to get to your question, is to use a razor blade and separate the two layers, that is fairly tedious, not to mention a good way to get cut. You can wait until you have other materials and run them last, right before denoxing the solution. Follow Gorans advice, which I wish I had thought of a few years back. While they look real good, they only produce tiny amounts of gold. I still save them when I run across them, but haven't processed any by themselves in a few years.

weell not quite 20 lbs yet but close ( 190 grams ) 🤣🤣🤣

g_axelsson said:
There is very little gold on the ink connector and nothing inside the ribbon.

I usually cut off the gold plated parts and throw it in with filters and other stuff to incinerate. The ribbons goes with my brown boards.

Göran

How do you incinerate it?

Just burn it or pyrolize?

Exactly how I incinerate different materials depends on what material it is. If for example there is paper with it, then I try to do it very carefully so I don't lose any ash. I'm still doing experiments to find a good way for me and to learn.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Exactly how I incinerate different materials depends on what material it is. If for example there is paper with it, then I try to do it very carefully so I don't lose any ash. I'm still doing experiments to find a good way for me and to learn.

Göran

i did put it in a stainless pot and then on a wood fire, took half hour with some serious heat!

Why did you incinerate it? There is no reason to do it actually, all gold is exposed already.

The only reason I throw it in with my filters for incineration is it is just tiny pieces now and then and I don't want to have too many separate boxes with small amounts of scrap lying around.

If I would process a large amount of these I would use the copper chloride process to separate the gold foils from the plastic and then refine the gold the normal way.

Göran

I just don't get the fascination with incinerating things. Why would these need to be incinerated at all?

I throw them in with all of my other gold plated stuff, cell phone boards, trimmed fingers, etc.

Either the "AP" process or poor mans AR works. There is really very little gold there, don't spend any more time on them than ripping them off the cartdridge.

anachronism said:
I just don't get the fascination with incinerating things. Why would these need to be incinerated at all?

Agreeded, unless you have a good setup and know what your're doing you will lose more than you gain from incineration.

I incinerated them, because everything else i tried, had failed!

I did throw them in with filters, and all this only to make a small sample of Aucl, to use for test to see if stannous test solution is still good for use! 😃

ckbitt said:

I did throw them in with filters, and all this only to make a small sample of Aucl, to use for test to see if stannous test solution is still good for use! 😃

Failed in what way? There's only so much gold in there. You won't get any more by incinerating.

anachronism said:
ckbitt said:

Failed in what way? There's only so much gold in there. You won't get any more by incinerating.

Its easier to process when incinerated, both in amounts of acid and time spent!

I tried first off with AP, didnt get much out of that, then i went to AR with whole foils, took a very long time for the acid to go through and attack basemetals, and the amount of acid spent on the small batch i did was way to high for my acid stock!

So i cut of excess wire, incinerated them and processed the ashes without any washing, just to AR, it took 150 ml of HCL and 10 ml of nitric, and 2.5 hrs to get it done

Back