smelting issue with final step

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashir

here is a video link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=297s&v=h9jFjXVo6Tk
at time 05:00 he make a pot with ash and calcium hydoxide. which Ash he is using? later he write the process and change his words. image.jpg

he write to use sodium bicarbonate and ash! what will be the accurate mixture to make pot

ashir said:
here is a video link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=297s&v=h9jFjXVo6Tk
at time 05:00 he make a pot with ash and calcium hydoxide. which Ash he is using? later he write the process and change his words. image.jpg

he write to use sodium bicarbonate and ash! what will be the accurate mixture to make pot

He means wood ash and calcium hydroxide, but you can use plain Portland cement instead.

thanks.
he reuse the floating metarial and the pot as a substitute of lead again. can i reuse portland cement pot as lead substitute in next mlcc batch?

A vessel made of bone ash and portland cement will absorb the lead leaving the precious metals behind.

tbanks geo. i was knowing that bone ash used for absorbing lead. actually i was wanting to reduce the cost! not want buy lead for every batch! that guy write to re use that pot as lead substitute. so i was looking to go straight on his mathod so i can reuse pot inplace of lead. so if you can tell that can i reuse bone ash that already absorbed lead, as lead substitute in next process?

The lead is included in the melt. You add the lead as a collector and the cupel absorbs the lead. The cupel can be crushed and milled. A portion of the lead can be reclaimed directly but it will need to be smelted to get the lead back to a metal. For what it does, it seems that the lead will be a very small cost overall until you have collected enough to make recovery of the lead worth the refine. The bone ash and the slake lime is another small charge that should be considered a consumable.

yes lead is not too expensive! but it will cost me again and again with every process as i can not buy large amount of lead in pakistan. though that guy is crushing the pot and reusing it in next process as lead. image.jpg
later he get a metalic piece with base metals and pm's
later he make a pot image.jpg
he get another piece light in weight than earlier with less base metals and maximum pm's
i want use this process with ic chips,
thanks for any more guidence!

I have a couple of questions to the more experienced lot here.
In most, if not all of these videos they use chunks of wood on top of the cupel. (It is cupellation is it not?)
Are this to supply carbon to the flame or the molten bath?
I had this idea that the flame should be oxygen rich to oxidize the lead/base metals
or is that a totally different ballgame?
Additionally these processes looks quite "dirty" compared to what I would expect for cupellation for,
for instance assays.
If using portland cement, should it be kept dry or moisted and cured?
Just curious here so I'm looking forward for some elightenment :)

Yggdrasil said:
I have a couple of questions to the more experienced lot here.
In most, if not all of these videos they use chunks of wood on top of the cupel. (It is cupellation is it not?)
Are this to supply carbon to the flame or the molten bath?
I had this idea that the flame should be oxygen rich to oxidize the lead/base metals
or is that a totally different ballgame?
Additionally these processes looks quite "dirty" compared to what I would expect for cupellation for,
for instance assays.
If using portland cement, should it be kept dry or moisted and cured?
Just curious here so I'm looking forward for some elightenment :)

I use the cement dry.

Back