recommendation for a blower - leach tank for ore concentrates

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oro-del-sur

I want to test a leach tank for concentrates using just a blower for agitation.  Keeping it simple I’ll use two 55 gal drums welded together (vertically), the tank will have a cone shaped bottom and be supported on legs.  

A 3/4” pvc tube is placed inside a 6” pvc tube, both running down the center of the tank.   Air is blown down the small tube and it’s return to the surface creates a venture effect carrying the pulp upwards inside the 6” tube and continuously “boils” at the surface.  

My questions is how to spec the blower and where to buy it.  I searched online but most blowers listed don’t list pressure ratings.  I prefer a common grade, hopefully "off the shelf" blower, not looking to spend a fortune.    

Thanks in advance.

You will not create a venturi effect as much as you will be making an airlift. Very effective and inexpensive. But airlifts work off compressor driven air not blowers. finding a blower that would overcome the head pressure of 8 feet is not easy, but a relatively small air compressor will do the job nicely.

I considered a compressor but isn't there a concern about oil fouling the activated carbon? I have a standard workshop type compressor but can't imagine running it 24/7. Is there a special kind of compressor for this application?

They make oil free compressors. I have a compressor that is oil free used to aerate my pond and it pumps to an air distribution system 28 feet deep in the pond. That compressor runs from April to October as long as there is no ice on the pond and it only uses about 100 watts. A larger flow fishpond aeration pump can pump the 6 or so feet you require, they are smaller than mine but same principle.

Back