Poor mans AR issues

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I’m new here so please feel free to point me in the right direction if this topic has already been addressed and then delete this post... otherwise, please help!! :(
I have bought a mystery brick of melted pins online and have managed to dissolve it in a mixture of HCl and Calcium Nitrate (the only form of nitrate I have been able to find ANYWHERE!!). It turns into a very dark green liquid, almost black. I add in the Uria till it stops dissolving and then followed with a good dash of SBM... lots of fizzing but nothing else. I left it over night... still nothing. So I added a bunch more SBM, lots more fizzing... still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a classical "gold drop" sold on ebay. If you are lucky you could have some gold there but you have paid more than it was worth even before starting to refine it.

What you have is a lot of base metals in solution, mixed with SMB and urea. It's commonly known as "making a mess". Make some stannous chloride and test the solution to see if you have any gold present. If you have it, then I would suggest that you put a piece of copper bus bar or another solid piece of copper in the solution. It will cement all the precious metals as a black slime.
It can well be that all the gold is already out of solution and has formed a fine black silt. It is common to drop out like that whenever you try to drop gold from a dirty solution. So before testing and cementing you could try to filter the liquid to recover any solids.
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Making_a_mess

You should also slow down and study some more, I know that it's exciting to refine gold but if you haste into this without proper knowledge you will make a bigger mess out of it.

Göran

Back