Do I have use Nitric for this?!?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfranc

After a bunch of north/south bridge and IC chips I am left with a ton of copper wire and small bit of gold. This is only some of it. It’s probably 99% copper. I’d really like to not have to dissolve all the copper in nitric to get to the gold. Is there any other method either chemical or manual? I have about 4 times what you see in the picture. I’ve tried panning and it’s not getting me very far.

6F70E1C0-4939-4DDB-8594-9C157CECDEB3.jpeg

There's a huge amount of resource on here about doing these items in various ways. A massive amount if you search correctly. It's a topic that has been discussed at great length, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you all the same stuff again. 8) 8)

In the meantime searching for information would be really good for you and open up a huge well of knowledge.

You could use HCl, it will take longer but with a lot of oxidized copper it will start the copper chloride etch without any added peroxide.

I would incinerate the lot first to get rid of the carbon still left in the lot. I can see some pins still held in place by the charred plastic so there might be some bond wires still encased in the black parts.

Göran

Honestly I have no idea why I did not think of that myself. That is the obvious answer. I think I was being impatient and wanted to get the gold quicker. I now feel stupid for posting. Thanks for your response

Back