Black CuCl2 solution with palladium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebloomer

Hi all, I have a bucket with 10 liters of stockpot solution, siphoned off the main liquid and collected the last remaining solids. I put the bucket there a few weeks ago, so the last fine particles could settle so cementing with iron would be the last step, but to my surprise it didn't settle at all.

The solution is black, and I did some small test to verify there was just copper, but the DMG test gave me a nice layer of green sediment.

SMB test <> cuprous chloride precipitation
Ascorbic Acid <> no precipitation
Ammonium Chloride <> no precipitation
DMG <> green precipitation

I think I made the mistake of adding the AR from a failed MLCC experiment to my stockpot. It was about 2 liters of AR, divided over some DMG and Ammonium Chloride batches.

Any suggestions on how to proceed ? Thought about cementing with iron, and then refine the copper with electrolysis, but I hope you guys know a better way to approach this problem.

I was under the impression that Pd presence with a DMG resulted in a yellow deposit, and Pd with Stannous Chloride is green over time. Are you sure you got a green result?

Dilute your solution till it has no particulate and looks clear and then try your DMG again.

Jon

Back