Intel i486 pin removal?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might have sold it for several times the gold value before you removed the plastic 486 CPU.
It's a bit slow for the retro computing crowd but I think the CPU collecting crowd would have been interested in it. The asking price for a SX683 seems to be above $10 but it seems that a more realistic price would have been in the $8-$12 range.

Now it's just a piece of gold scrap with quite low gold content, I would just toss it in with black fiber pentium CPU:s and process it with the pins from those. The black chip probably contains some gold bond wires.

Are the pins magnetic (kovar based) or non-magnetic (brass)? How many do you have?

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I think you might have sold it for several times the gold value before you removed the plastic 486 CPU.
It's a bit slow for the retro computing crowd but I think the CPU collecting crowd would have been interested in it. The asking price for a SX683 seems to be above $10 but it seems that a more realistic price would have been in the $8-$12 range.

Now it's just a piece of gold scrap with quite low gold content, I would just toss it in with black fiber pentium CPU:s and process it with the pins from those. The black chip probably contains some gold bond wires.

Are the pins magnetic (kovar based) or non-magnetic (brass)? How many do you have?

Göran
Non magnetic. Im really not doing this for money. Im doing it for an understanding of gold recovery and refining. I have about 12 of these.

g_axelsson said:

Göran
Also grabbed 2 of these. Any ideas?
20190128_162641.jpg

20190128_162643.jpg
20190128_162638.jpg

The second one is a power-pc CPU, probably from an apple computer. As far as I remember, those pins are easily removed by heat but the plastic will melt in the process, maybe the plastic can be peeled off first.

If the pins are based on copper alloy (non magnetic) then one alternative is to use a copper chloride etch to dissolve the base metal. It will take some time, produce quite a lot of waste for a small amount of gold but you will get an opportunity to refine some gold and learn something along the way.

Göran

Wizzlebiz said:
denim said:
Wizzlebiz said:
denim said:
What type of equipment did that come out of. I've never seen one like that.

Dennis

Have no clue. Got it at a scrap yard.

Now that I see it with the black chip on it I can recognize it. Thanks.
Any ideas on the one a couple of posts above?

If I remember correctly I peeled the black plastic part with the pins attached to it off with a thin putty knife, and sold it along with other green fiber cpu's.

Dennis

denim said:
Wizzlebiz said:
denim said:
Wizzlebiz said:
denim said:
What type of equipment did that come out of. I've never seen one like that.

Dennis

Have no clue. Got it at a scrap yard.

Now that I see it with the black chip on it I can recognize it. Thanks.
Any ideas on the one a couple of posts above?

If I remember correctly I peeled the black plastic part with the pins attached to it off with a thin putty knife, and sold it along with other green fiber cpu's.

Dennis
Good idea. Yea i tried with a chisel. Lol. The areas I got off pins fall right out. Will move to the putty knife next. Awesome thank you.

g_axelsson said:
The second one is a power-pc CPU, probably from an apple computer. As far as I remember, those pins are easily removed by heat but the plastic will melt in the process, maybe the plastic can be peeled off first.

If the pins are based on copper alloy (non magnetic) then one alternative is to use a copper chloride etch to dissolve the base metal. It will take some time, produce quite a lot of waste for a small amount of gold but you will get an opportunity to refine some gold and learn something along the way.

Göran
Thank you G.

g_axelsson said:

Göran
Gonna try with one of the 12. Will post results in a couple weeks when the etch is done lol

Back