Help with AR & AP solution mess

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlralston22

Let me first start off by saying that I am new to the forum and new to refining. I'm a newbie, still learning, and I continuously keep reading. I need to keep learning, but for now, I would like & appreciate any suggestions, & assistance. SO... to the issue/question/dilemma.
First, I hardly ever drink, and never drink while working with acid. But the other night, after a few drinks, I had decided to make an AR solution and add recovered foils to it. *Never again*
The solution I created had unknown ratios, as nothing was measured. But I can say that from a 17oz container of (70%) Nitric, there was between 10-13oz of Nitric added, (10-13oz left out of 17oz after I had previously used a few oz to do some inquarting.) Also, out of a 128oz jug of 31.5% HCL, which was roughly half full, or less
I added about 60-64oz HCL.
So far:
10-13oz 70% Nitric,
60-64oz 31.5% HCL.
Then, my foils. These were kinda dirty. There was also the black powder left after inquarting, that was in with these.
For some reason, I also threw in a .4 gram ball of higher purity gold melted from small nuggets, and a partially dissolved 14k pendant.
Then, I think I may have thought I needed more HCL. I was out. So... I added an unknown ammount of used AP (it was at least filtered).
At this point, I heard hell from my significant other, as this was done in my basement, so I put a lid on it, and it sat overnight and most of the next day while I pampered a massive headache.
It now looks green. It reeks of Nitric. The gold ball is heard rolling around in the bottom, with the 14k pendant. There is a brownish sludge at the bottom, and random contaminants floating in it.
So my questions (where I need assistance) are, 1) What do I do now? Lol.
I realize that I need to get the ball and the pendant out of the solution, and inquart them. I've been waiting for a newly ordered crucible, and need to wait. So I ordered more Nitric, and I will be picking up more HCL. I continue reading. I can also do a stannous test in my current solution, and let you know if gold is even in it, as I don't see any foils. I am assuming that the sludge at the bottom may be cemented gold & copper?
2) Is this solution even able to still be made into a useable AR?
3) If it can not be, and I do have gold in it, should I drop the gold and filter everything, or filter first, and then drop? SMB or Copper bar?
Alternatively, I can also just keep this approximately 1gallon solution mixture as is, until I can go outside to finish the remaining refining process, and keep adding foils & inquart remains to it, & learn more between now & then by reading and from your assistance.
Thanks in advance for your help and responses. I can only imagine some of the negativity being thought and/or said after reading this horror story.

jlralston22 said:
First, I hardly ever drink, and never drink while working with acid. But the other night, after a few drinks, I had decided to make an AR solution and add recovered foils to it.

Quite clearly that isn't true.

You're lucky to be alive after doing this in your basement especially with the volumes you used. So is your wife.

jlralston22 said:
First, I hardly ever drink, and never drink while working with acid. But the other night, after a few drinks, I had decided to make an AR solution and add recovered foils to it.
Bad mistake!

So my questions (where I need assistance) are, 1) What do I do now? Lol.
Get it out of your basement, and stop thinking this is a laughing matter! You're lucky you and your significant other haven't died yet. The damage caused by the acid fumes are cumulative and they do not heal. Take a read through Why Can't I Ask a Simple Question and get a Simple Answer?.

I'm not going to beat you up over the many mistakes you made, and I'm not going to try to explain them all or give you some step by step instructions. Get that poison out of your home. Put a lid on it loosely to allow fumes to escape while not allowing any additional trash to enter it. Put it in a secure place so no people or critters can get into it.

Then study.

When you understand the many mistakes you've made, you'll be ready to go back and work on your solution. Comparable to "When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave."

Dave

Thank you all for your concern and I appreciate all of your responses. if it matters I did forget to tell you that none of this was on heat at all so there were hardly any fumes, hopefully that helps you feel a little better. And I do plan on continuing this outside and not in my basement after all of this. It has been capped, loosely, not sealed. I just don't know if I should do anything with it or is it okay to let it sit until warmer weather?And once it is warmer weather I will need assistance on what to do

Clearly, I made several mistakes. Like other people, i typically learn from them & move on. I didn't leave out the part about me being in my basement, or having had a few drinks, because I believe honesty is important. I have been lectured by my "wife" enough already. (Now that I can "lol" about). I usually self teach/learn by reading. And might be doing just that. Since I have not yet received any advise for a possible solution, and only got ridiculed and criticism, I am hoping posting here wasn't a mistake.

So let's say hypothetically that I have a shed which is structurally ventilated and has windows & doors that open. It also has a heat source for my solution... the questions I had originally posted, still remain...

jlralston22 said:
Let me first start off by saying that I am new to the forum and new to refining. I'm a newbie, still learning, and I continuously keep reading. I need to keep learning, but for now, I would like & appreciate any suggestions, & assistance. SO...

...So my questions (where I need assistance) are, 1) What do I do now?...

...Alternatively, I can also just keep this approximately 1gallon solution mixture as is, until I can go outside to finish the remaining refining process...

...learn more between now & then by reading and from your assistance...
Thanks in advance for your help and responses.

You already knew what you needed to do.
And, Dave still gave you great advice.

If you follow Dave's (and your own advice) you'll learn the answers to your other questions along the way.

Then please come back and tell us how you (safely) took care of that gallon of hazardous chemicals.

Just like cars and guns, chemistry and being "under the influence" don't mix.

A ventilated shed is better than your basement but is still not a safe area to be digesting with nitric openly. Think "fume hood" in your ventilated shed. 10oz of nitric is an awful lot to use on foils, a pendant, and a little gold bead. Are you sure it was 70% nitric you used?

jlralston22 said:
Clearly, I made several mistakes. Like other people, i typically learn from them & move on. I didn't leave out the part about me being in my basement, or having had a few drinks, because I believe honesty is important. I have been lectured by my "wife" enough already. (Now that I can "lol" about). I usually self teach/learn by reading. And might be doing just that. Since I have not yet received any advise for a possible solution, and only got ridiculed and criticism, I am hoping posting here wasn't a mistake.

Yes you were honest, and I merely stated facts. Dave gave you great advice so I recommend you take it. If you want to spit your dummy out then that reflects more on you than anyone else, and if you wanted your hand holding and people to say "there there" then you posted in the wrong place. Here you're going to get that honesty right back at ya.

You're at a crossroads right now. We can help you learn to do it right, or you can cry. Some of our best members started out by doing dumb stuff, but they chose to learn and now they are valued and experienced contributors. Your choice Sir.

Jon

Back