Gold powder.......

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldinnature

Dear friends :
I was wondering if anyone can send me a thread explaining what's gold chloride powder , i mean is it metallic gold or gold in other form ?
Thank you

Gold chloride powder is a yellow salt of gold, it is not metallic gold, but an ionic salt of gold and the acid that was used to dissolve the gold.

Just like rust is a salt of iron and oxygen, rust is not a metal, it is no longer iron, but is an ionic salt of the metal.

Precipitated gold is normally brown, Pure gold chloride would be yellow.

You have many questions maybe if you give us some details to understand what the questions are about.

I may get confused here.....is the precipitate gold "brown mud" gold chloride or not....and what is the precipitate gold exactly ?

When you use chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and a nitrate, or nitric acid, to put gold into solution it becomes auric chloride, or "gold choride". When you add a precipitant such as SMB or copperas, the gold comes out of solution and again becomes a metal. The metal particles are so finely divide that they cannot reflect light and appear as "brown mud". Think in terms of each grain of "mud" as a separate piece of gold, just very tiny.

goldinnature said:
I may get confused here.....is the precipitate gold "brown mud" gold chloride or not....and what is the precipitate gold exactly ?

To add to what Shark said:

When you precipitate from, a solution of gold chloride you are reducing the gold chloride to metallic gold. Thus what you have as brown sludge is gold metal along with any impurities you have co precipitated. That's why it needs cleaning up after the precipitation.

Therefore you have gold- not gold chloride.

I am getting a black powdered like substances after precipitate gold with SMB from gold chloride solution
help me

Back