HELP WITH SMB DROP GOLD

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengie84

Firstly hi all im new as you can guess. I will talk you through my process so far and where i believe im going wrong

SO MY FIRST STEP IS CHEMICAL BATH I USE A 2:1 MIX OF HCL AND 3% PEROXIDE SEEMS TO WORK TURNS DARK GREEN ALMOST BLACK YET SOME FINE GOLD HAS DISSOLVED BUT COME BACK TO THAT LATER .SO NOW I FILTER THE LIQUID LEAVING ME TINY GOLD FLAKES AND FINGERS AND SOME OTHER BITS FROM THE CBs RINSE FILTER WITH TOUCH OF HCL REMOVE UNWATED BITS BEST I CAN NOW STEP 2

I PLACE MY FILTER PAPER IN GLASS JAR ADD AROUND 75ML OF HCL AND 25ML OF 4% SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE (FOOD GRADE) LITTLE BY LITTLE TO DISSOLVE THE GOLD AND AFTER HALF HOUR I HAVE A DEEP GOLDEN YELLOW SOLUTION AND AGAIN FILTER AND RINSE READY FOR SMB DROP

STEP 3 28G OF SMB INTO 240ML H20 I THEN ADD THIS TO MY GOLD SOLUTION BUT I DONT SEEM TO HAVE ANY REACTION APART FROM WHITE CRYSTALS OR THE LIQUID TURNS PALE BLUE I HAVE READ AND RE-READ BUT SO LOST NOW I HAVE NOT GOT RID OF THE 2 SOLUTIONS BUT AFTER FOLLOWING LASER STEVES GUILDS IM AT A STANDSTILL COULD ANYONE HELP WITH HOW TO GET THE GOLD TO DROP??????

NOW BACK TO THE TOP MY DARK GREEN AP SOLUTION HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT RECOVERING THE DISSOLVED GOLD IN THAT THERES ROUGHLY 1.2L

Bengie, welcome to the forum. There's no need to shout at us. Using all capital letters makes your post difficult to read and is against our forum rules.

To start, you used far too much peroxide. You only need a small amount to get the reaction started.

You didn't mention what your starting material was, other than mentioning "some other bits from the cbs". Did you start with fingers, whole boards of some type, or something else? How much material did you start with? An ounce, a pound, a kilo?

How much did your gold bits weigh when you dissolved them? A gram? An ounce?

I'm guessing you used too much acid and bleach to dissolve your gold. You also didn't mention what you did to eliminate the excess chlorine after your bits dissolved. Or did you just add the SMB right after the gold was dissolved?

The color change from a "deep golden yellow solution" to "pale blue" indicates you probably reduced your gold, but there may not be enough to see the fine powder depending on how much gold you actually dissolved. How long did you allow the solution rest to see if there is any precipitate?

Give us some answers and we'll try to help.

Dave

hi dave sorry my bad ill try and clear a few things up i started with 100g of pins with a few bits of cb trimings that had gold leaf style squires but mainly pins not came clean but most so put those aside heres my biggest mistake after the first bath i did not dry or weigh what was left
second newbi mistake is a added smb within a hour so i clearly not left it long enough for the chlorine to evap
but the solution i did the day before with white crystals in i added more smb to and now dirty browny yellow but todays solution has gone blue i will try and take some pics later if i can add them or by pm

i should also mention i have adhd and asd which makes it very hard for me to follow instructions it might as well be written in chinese how ever being shown how to do something works really well for me not trying to make an excuse of my poor recovery skils

You're not alone with those things, so work around them and you will need to be able to follow instructions in order to do this properly.

Jon

bengie84 said:
i should also mention i have adhd and asd which makes it very hard for me to follow instructions it might as well be written in chinese how ever being shown how to do something works really well for me not trying to make an excuse of my poor recovery skils

It helps me considerably to write steps out ahead of time, draw lines through them as I complete them. That way they are my instructions.

I carry a 6x9 steno pad with me every day of the week to take notes. I’d probably forget to breathe if I didn’t write it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys just having difficulty with uploading a pic from my phone. Have been writing some notes but will do more work some numbers out

Also chord someone help point me in the right direction to using copper to cement the gold surely can’t be as simple as putting a pice of copper in my solution I will be testing today with the stannous chloride

Actually, it is as simple as putting a piece of copper in the acidic solution and cementing out the gold, the copper goes into solution and gold comes back out of solution. It is as simple as one metal wanting the electron the most and copper wins and gold is released from its chloride bond to become an atom of gold, and copper losing its electron to become an ionic salt of chloride...

Well hi guys n girls
Just thought I’d do a little update after month or so of reading and Experimenting with a few snags here and there I’d like to share with you my finish test just can’t wait to smelt and like to thank you all for the help and constructive criticism lol

Attachments

• 54084655-8BDD-4EF3-9312-9A0984201F7C.jpeg
    54084655-8BDD-4EF3-9312-9A0984201F7C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
To be honest it’s the photo as couldn’t get the right light it’s actually a nice light tan colour

bengie84 said:
To be honest it’s the photo as couldn’t get the right light it’s actually a nice light tan colour

Yeah and today I saw a pink unicorn ion my garden. Honestly I did guvnor. :D :D

Edit- no amount of snapchat filtering is going to make that gold look a "light tan colour." I do mean this kindly.

anachronism said:
bengie84 said:

Yeah and today I saw a pink unicorn ion my garden. Honestly I did guvnor. :D :D

Edit- no amount of snapchat filtering is going to make that gold look a "light tan colour." I do mean this kindly.

Did ya shoot it? They will give you syphillis.

Gold is probably 98.5...I just melt it as is most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewww you can clean it up a treat in 30 minutes or so Sno.

Thanks for ruining my pink unicorn image. 8) 8)

Back