silver recovery from xray film using caustic soda

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandler_P

Hi everyone!

need help on the step by step guide on recovery of silver from xray films using caustic soda.
Help anyone? (manuel , GSP?) need big time advice

Thank you.

Hi there blu,

I am also asking for somebody's help, waiting for response from the very knowledgeable guys (manuel and GSP ). Well, I soaked the films in caustic soda solution and waited until it stripped off from the film. Im not quite sure what's with the film (if it is silver iodide, AgBr, AgCl). My next question is how to separate silver ffrom the solution. Will I burn them (what happens here, i would love to know the chemical process involve here). got some ideas?

cheers!

I've been busy and will answer your questions when I get around to it. Don't push me or you'll never get any answers, at least not from me. As the old saying goes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Have any of you searched the forum for the answers you want? I know it's been discussed several times.

Chris

hi
u are treating xray film with naoh,so yr compound will be agcl,agbr,or any other,if u seen white cloudy precipitate,then it will be agcl.u displace cl using iron,u will get cement silver.

bhupesh17 said:
hi
u are treating xray film with naoh,so yr compound will be agcl,agbr,or any other,if u seen white cloudy precipitate,then it will be agcl.u displace cl using iron,u will get cement silver.

Attachments

• HUGH.gif
    HUGH.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,035
Hi GSP,

yes. I've been reading the forum regarding this.
Well, with what i gathered, one shoud soaked the used xray film and heat it until it dries up. then filter it and smelt.

I was thinking of other ways to make the silver settle faster while it is still in the caustic soda solution.

Thanks in advance! :)

bhupesh17 said:
hi

I'm using developed x-ray film; with what i learned from this site, when it is developed, there are no silver halides anymore but rather silver. I've been seeking advice.

bhupesh17 said:
hi,i m bhupesh mulik frm mumbai,india
can u tell me exactly what u do with xray film and naoh.
bhupesh,

Your name sounded familiar and I finally figured out why. It was on the finishing.com forum. I assume you are that same person. If so, you have made many posts there and I have read most of them. I have made quite a few posts there, myself. You seem to be quite knowledgeable. I appreciate your participation and am glad you are here.

Welcome to our forum,

Chris Owen

For the newbies like me:

Here's the process i followed; it's a little longer than usual -

Make Caustic soda solution
Add your film, you could wait for some hours to completely wash off the silver and gelatin
allow the mud/sludge to settle and scoop out the excess NaOH solution
Heat it up and let it settle
Filter and melt

Cheers!

Hi y'all,

got my first production, got little amount of silver. :)

now, i wanted to refine my method.

Has anybody experienced using caustic soda and sugar, i read it is done for silver chloride. I tried a little amount from my solution and it seems to work. don't know the chemistry behind it though.

Good day!

I am a newbie here. I am not a chemical engineer either. May i know how to make caustic soda or we can buy it? i would like to make my first production from X-ray film. Hope your could share some of the details how did you get it successfully chandler?

bhupesh17, I too recognize the name, are you the guy from India? I hope we still have you here on the forum, as you seem to know what you talk about.

I have not seen you post again here, hope we didnt run you off.

bhupesh17,
"hi
u are treating xray film with naoh,so yr compound will be agcl,agbr,or any other,if u seen white cloudy precipitate,then it will be agcl.u displace cl using iron,u will get cement silver."

I think some here were wondering where the halide came from, were you talking about another process involving a halide?

I have been following this thread with interest becuase my job still uses ltho film - but please post in regular emglish and not using texting speech.
What is the recipe for lye solution and do you just let the plastic film sit in the solution until the black drops off?

butcher said:
I think some here were wondering where the halide came from, were you talking about another process involving a halide?
He (bhupesh17) was banned from the forum for disregarding my admonition to stop using text lingo. It is not acceptable here.

Harold

He (bhupesh17) was banned from the forum for disregarding my admonition to stop using text lingo. It is not acceptable here.

Harold

Too bad he had some info I would have liked, but I guess his attitude was too much for his knowledge, oh well

Latest posts

Back