Reducing Silver nitrate to metallic silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Greetings to All,

This is my first post in this great forum. It is the best educational forum site I found in the net for PM... So much knowledge and experience.

Here is my question: What are the steps required to reduce silver nitrate to silver metallic powder. :?:
Thanks and regards,
amoodikh

Amoodikh,

Check the Silver videos on my website http://www.goldrecvoery.us .

You'll need a solid copper buss bar or copper tubing.

Steve

Thanks Steve for your reply and vedio.

How then to reduce copper deluted in the solution? :?:

amoodikh said:
Greetings to All,

This is my first post in this great forum. It is the best educational forum site I found in the net for PM... So much knowledge and experience.

Here is my question: What are the steps required to reduce silver nitrate to silver metallic powder. :?:
Thanks and regards,
amoodikh
Hello:
The metallic copper reduces the silver nitrate in solutions.
Greetings :lol:

Yes, but too much base and your Ag2O will become Ag(OH)2- and will be washed away. Use only enough base as is theoretically required. Sounds easy, but it is not because the alkali bases are all hygroscopic and contain varying amounts of water.

I agree though, much purer silver can be had by just melting the silver oxide. That is of course assuming you had pure silver nitrate that was uncontaminated by other metals!

Lou

I think he wants powder. From silver nitrate, most of the reducing agents I can think of produce a mirror and not a powder. He may have to convert it to something like a chloride first. One of the cleanest powders I've seen was from AgCl, using NaOH plus Formaldehyde, in a blender. Here's 37,000 possibilities.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22silver+powder%22+production&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS259US259

Hydroquinone is also dirt cheap. I use it quite frequently...as far as I'm concerned, it's no worse than phenol for your health. Don't eat it, don't rub it on your hands, and just be hygienic whilst using it. I've worked with many, many carcinogens and I'm not terribly worried--proper hygiene, apparatus, and overall common sense will protect you.

Typically almost an aldose or an aldohexose (i.e. glucose) will work fine. Ascorbic acid, aka vitamin C also works but it is significantly more expensive than sugars and HQ.

Parting caveat--I'd be more than a little bit hesitant about adding any formaldehyde to ANY solution with free hydrochloric acid--there are some very nasty chloromethyl ethers than can form, and those are volatile and they are very carcinogenic.

An easy method of producing 4 nines silver even if base metals are in solution is to reduce the solution with sodium formate as follows
1 Filter solution to remove all ppt's
2 Raise pH to 1.5 using liquid caustic
raise the temp to 130 degrees F
3 Reduce the silver by adding a solution made of saturated sodium
formate which has been reduced to a pH of 4 using formic acid (filter
any precipitate)
4 The solution will turn brown from the reduction of the silver and will
turn a bright blue (if the silver nitrate was from sterling) when the
reaction is completed.
5 Test for completeness of the reaction by sampling the solution on a
glass rod and dripping a drop into chlorinated tap water. White ppt
means more silver is present. Add more formate solution until test
yields clear drops into chlorinated tap water.

Needless to say no chlorides in the make up chemistry water
Works extremely well on sterling silver scrap digested in 50% Nitric/Distilled water. The starting pH is critical as is the pH of the formate reducing solution.

Back