Silver sulphadiazine

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kats12

hi people
What is the best way to get silver out form silver sulphadiazine(pure substance, not 1% cream).
What i know about it is that it is poorly soluble... i used HCl , and HNO3... in HNO3 i tried to use some table salt to get it out but 0, and 0 every time i tried something even Zn with moisture on also 0, i even tried to burn it in furnace(propane) , and 0 silver came out.. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: and the smell of burning... :?
googling the net for some formulas also 0 :|

Please give me some advises

Kats

My question would be why would you even want to try and get the silver out. It is more valuable as a medicine.

The silver in the medicine is in ionic form, not metal silver, the silver ion content is very low, and is in a carbon bond with sulfur as a sulfide. With the sulfide ion bond you can burn up the tiny bit of silver in the smelly smoke, carbon is normally a good reducing agent, but also takes oxygen from the sulfide under the heat, limiting the sulfide from forming sulfur gases, SO2, SO3... leaving the sulfur to burn with the silver.

With all of the carbon, Hydrogen, nitrogen, in the bond, and with such little oxygen, and the sulfide bond with ionic silver molecules.

If for some reason I thought I might get rich if I could collect a few silver atoms from a perfectly good medicine by burning it up, I would look into adding an oxidizer like KNO3 and iron powders, drying it to a crust with heat, crushing the crust ans roasting it in air to red heat by very slowly bringing up the heat while stirring the red hot powders. the goal is to form CO2 with the carbon, H2O with the hydrogen, NO2 with the nitrogen, and iron sulfide, reducing the tiny silver ions to an atom of silver in metallic form.

the flux, and the process would need to be experimented with to get the desired results, so you may have to burn up many jars of this medicine experimenting to try and get a few silver metallic atoms.
and maybe hundred of jars to get a silver button.

I think I would just save it as medicine, and not make a bunch of smoke trying to burn the medicine, save the medicine for skin burns.

Silver sulfadiazine,
antibiotic used to prevent infection in burns.
<1% (silver), 10% (sulfadiazine)
C10H9AgN4O2S

Attachments

• 250px-Sulfadiazine-3D-vdW.png
    250px-Sulfadiazine-3D-vdW.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 382px-Silver_sulfadiazine_Silvadene.svg.png
    382px-Silver_sulfadiazine_Silvadene.svg.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back