My experiment with medical x-ray films.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joko sulistyo

Hi,all.
Three days ago,I was trying to recover silver from medical x-ray films.After soaking the films in NaOh solution for two days,the films peel off easily.
b348bc8a19826db201304c225bb00b5b.jpg
56a8d4d11f27b859db97e96b4a033b47.jpg

And then I collect all the black parts of the films to the bucket.
2db29483014093d08ba9f0b808a381e9.jpg

After complete,I put all the black materials into the beaker.
76e424a7c3e5b950231b74c6c7c40857.jpg
Adding dilute hno3 and give heat until all the black materials turn with.this process need 10 minutes.
7b98a6f2d00cc4ff82beb3549f3c1f82.jpg
And then I do filtering to separate silver nitrate and white materials.
3f2dc34e36c5cca217385a720664efb8.jpg

Adding hcl to form silver chloride.
c542c4bbd3b6cd20f2cda5e141793c10.jpg
c2784fde8b0638d8406a99e8b6d8452e.jpg
After complete,I do filtering the silver chloride,washing several times,and convert ing silver chloride to silver metal using NaOh and sugar(syrup).
At last,drying and melting.I only get about 1,5 grams from 1 kg medical x-ray films.
7e981f5a7c5938e10fe72b452be414df.jpg
7a8d26de947988004dcda1fe85f8a9f1.jpg
So,how your advice about my experiment?is there something wrong in the steps?
And how about the yield?
Thanks for your attentions.
Best regards.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Just adding information.
In the pic,I use bare hand to peel the films because I was wash the films several times until no traces NaOh anymore.So,I think this will be safe.
And I always do the hno3 process under the fume hood.I was build my simple fume hood since teen years ago.
Thanks.

Oh..I apologize about this.I make this post using tapatalk.Maybe the res of pics too big.But I can see the pics normally by my cellphone.
Thanks for reply.I will do better next time.

Joko sulistyo said:
Oh..I apologize about this.I make this post using tapatalk.Maybe the res of pics too big.But I can see the pics normally by my cellphone.
Thanks for reply.I will do better next time.

It's a tapatalk issue. It seems to fill in the pictures for a user using tapatalk, but the forum software can't handle https-links, ie encrypted links. Unencrypted links starts at http instead.
It's the same issue as youtube videos using the youtube button. Remove the "s" and the youtube link works as ment.

I recommend you try the url button, then the pictures appears as links instead of inline pictures. At least it's easier to click on.

Göran

Your yield sounds about right, I get about 1 ozt, out of 10 lbs. of medical x-ray film.

A kilo being 2.2 lbs. I'd expect only 2 tenths of an ozt, max. (Not sure how many grams that would be, but it's not much.)

Don't know why you are making silver nitrate, silver chloride then silver metal though. If you make silver nitrate skip the chloride and put in a copper buss bar in to plate out the silver.

I usually processing silver using this way,Rickbb.start in the morning and finish a half day.sell them in afternoon to my local jewelry trader.so,if I use copper to cementing silver,it will be longer time.I use copper only to cementing the rest of silver or palladium in my stock pot.

When I ran those 6000 film assays, I dissolved the silver on developed halide film with hot 20% v/v nitric and then titrated the silver using the Volhard method. Since then, I've given some thought to using nitric in production. With something like that, in large volume, it would be hard to control the amount of nitric used and there would be a tendency to use too much. I would most probably produce AgCl and then use syrup and NaOH. It would be cheaper than copper and there would be less waste. However, this is a moot point since medical x-ray film is pretty much a thing of the past.

goldsilverpro said:
WhenHowever, this is a moot point since medical x-ray film is pretty much a thing of the past.

Agreed, I have my last 100 lbs. of film sitting waiting for me to process. The last doctor in town using old school x-ray film finally went digital. When I get around to it, it will be the last x-ray film I do. Then it will on to the key boards I've been saving up. :D

I use the tried and true method, strip with hot 30% NaOH, roast the sludge to carbonize any remaining emulsion slime, then convert the AgCl with NaOH/sugar. Works well, at least for me.

Joko sulistyo said:
I usually processing silver using this way,Rickbb.start in the morning and finish a half day.sell them in afternoon to my local jewelry trader.so,if I use copper to cementing silver,it will be longer time.I use copper only to cementing the rest of silver or palladium in my stock pot.

I agree. Have cemented and have done it this way. It has been simpler and quicker. I’m not sure what the downside is.

rickbb said:
goldsilverpro said:
WhenHowever, this is a moot point since medical x-ray film is pretty much a thing of the past.

Agreed, I have my last 100 lbs. of film sitting waiting for me to process. The last doctor in town using old school x-ray film finally went digital. When I get around to it, it will be the last x-ray film I do. Then it will on to the key boards I've been saving up. :D

I use the tried and true method, strip with hot 30% NaOH, roast the sludge to carbonize any remaining emulsion slime, then convert the AgCl with NaOH/sugar. Works well, at least for me.
Did I miss something, where did the chloride come from? Is it green film or developed?

Göran

It's me, I haven't stripped any film in a couple of years and I'm mixing up methods. I went back and re-read my notes and don't convert after roasting the sludge, just melt. :oops:

That sounds more like it, going straight to roasting / melt should work just fine.

Göran

Back