Silver bars smell like Sulpher??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben321

3 days ago I took all the silver I had from a couple of cementing's and a few pieces of Sterling silver and melted it all down in my furnace and clay graphite crucible. I used a homemade steel mold out of angle iron it has been used several times before and I had a torch on the mold so it was not cold. Why then day's later do the bars smell like Sulpher???Sil1.jpgSil2.jpg

Is it also brittle? You likely have silver sulphide.

Remelt it with a piece of re-rod or other steel or iron object in the crucible with lots of borax, stir it good with that item. The iron is immiscible with silver, so no concerns about it alloying together or anything.

snoman701 said:
Is it also brittle? You likely have silver sulphide.

Remelt it with a piece of re-rod or other steel or iron object in the crucible with lots of borax, stir it good with that item. The iron is immiscible with silver, so no concerns about it alloying together or anything.
Instead I use Na2CO3 + Fe (although the crucible is rapidly destroyed)

If it was just jewelry and cemented silver i'm trying to figure out where the silver sulphide would have come from. Unless he cemented it from thio. He hasn't made that clear yet.

I used nothing but distilled water for all processes.

The cement came from Sterling silver I dissolved in Nitric and cemented with copper.

Yes it was just Sterling silver jewelry and the silver cement that I melted together in the crucible, nothing else.

Ion47- I'd prefer not to destroy my crucible, those things are not cheap. But if all else fails I'll defiantly give it a try.

Lou- I try to be extremely careful not to cross contaminate anything during any process. The only thing I can think of is even as well as I clean my crucible maybe, just maybe there was a trace of something left from the previous melts.

goldsilverpro said:
Regular silver tarnish is silver sulfide.

I agree 100% and since you posted the correct answer,you get this lovely gold emoji. :G :mrgreen: lol.

P.S. We have discussed what silver tarnish really is several times.Nurdrage even has a video on how to remove it with electrolysis.

modtheworld44

Palladium-- No sir I did not wash with Sulphuric acid. No sulphuric was used in any process.

GoldSilverPro--as Modtheworld44 said...WINNER WINNER.. :G
I had forgotten that silver tarnish was silver sulphide...

Thank you all so much for your help. Now how do I get rid pic the smell?? Is Snoman701 correct is his answer? Our is there another way.? I will melt them back down but prefer not to.... but I suppose it is the only way to rid it of Sulpher smell :wink:

Back