Making Shot

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colu41

So I have (2) old 10 oz bars that look like they've been thrown off of a 20 story building, dragged across the pavement and pounded with a hammer. :) Anyways, silver is silver, so I would like to make some shot out of them and then make some smaller bars with it. My only question is. They currently weigh out to about 20.04 oz. How much will I lose in the process of making the shot? I thought I remember it being like 1% or something but I could be wrong.
Thanks!

I have to agree with scrapman, the only reason I would melt marked silver bars would be for inquarting karat gold. Even then only if I could not get hold of enough sterling to use. Those stamp marks are well worth holding on to as is. You might find someone to trade you smaller bars for your large ones as well.

Well, I see where you guys are coming from, but fortunately for me, I have a few people who are always willing to buy anything I cast for a decent price so. That's what I would like to do. I just have never made shot from a larger bar before, so was just curious.

If you have known buyers that pay well enough that could be another story. Like selling on eBay, some people will pay dearly for some things. Reminds me of the saying "One mans junk is another mans treasure".

If your supplier trusts you and your product then your gold is worth a couple of percent over spot if you make decent casting grain.

Back