Extraction of silver from unused Xray photographic

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topekole

Hi Everyone I am just thinking instead of looking for xray photographic waste, can I just buy new xray photographic paper and extract the silver from it?

Topekole said:
Hi Everyone I am just thinking instead of looking for xray photographic waste, can I just buy new xray photographic paper and extract the silver from it?

Why would you think that could be profitable?

Last quote I saw on used/expired rare earth x-ray film, (not paper, didn't know they made silver bearing x-ray paper), was $1 per pound.

After expenses, labor, chems, shipping/hauling, etc. people in the business net about $.05 a pound profit. If they are lucky and don't screw up a batch.

Not a lot of meat left on that chicken, but IF you get the source material, chemicals, equipment and labor cheap enough it could make a little money. Depending on volume of course.

Topekole said:

Hi! 1 kilogram of new medical x-ray film today contains 7-8 grams of silver, 1 kilogram of x-ray (eg Agfa structurix D7) contains 45 grams of silver. Whether it will be profitable to buy a new one is up to you.

Back