Stefans Translated Dental Gold Experiment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazersteve

Staff member
All,

I have completed the translation of the German Dental Gold Experiment by Lou's friend Stefan.

Lou double checked my translations and has signed off on the document.

The pdf file is here.

Dental Gold Experiment

Thanks Lou.

Steve

Ralph said:
Wasn't their more to it though ?

Ralph,

I took the Google translation and substituted the German chemical term translations I recieved from Jill.

Then I went thru the entire text and corrected any odd adjective and verb translations from goolge into a more flowing English text.

I made one final pass to confirm the experimental facts and the ease of understanding conveyed by the text.

I sent Lou a copy and he had me make a few other corrections to the document that I had missed.

It really turned out much nicer than the raw Google translation in my opinion. Google has a tough time with words with similar meanings in the English language. If you read the original Google translation again you'll see what I mean. Google has a long way to go with the translation of verbs and adjectives also.

All in all it was really fun to see how Stefan performed his experiment. I found it particularlly interesting how he uses chlorine gas in the PGM separations. I've been keeping topics like gas generators out of my posts intentionally to keep the not so technical types from gassing themselves by accident. :wink:

Steve

My bad Steve. I was thinking about another pdf that hit the board awhile back. It needed some translation. What's the source of this author ? Is it open to being corrected and posted ? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Attachments

• goldrecovery 1.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 269
Ralph,

The translation source is listed as a hyperlink in the pdf I posted.

You're welcome to go thru the original for any corrections you may find.

Steve

Yes, google is not so good with cognates heheh. I think it turned out very nice.

I think Stefan used chlorine just for the sake of using chlorine :p If you've read some of his other experiments (like the ketene generation thread), you'll see that chlorine is comparatively tame.

I've used chlorine a bunch, especially when I was working with water safety standards for chlorinization of drinking water. Key to dealing with it is mainly wearing a mask and goggles along with using a hood. That and it's a very heavy gas. I could pour some into a graduated cylinder and let it sit for 8 hours before it would diffuse away. So there's another caveat...don't do it in your basement!

Anyhow, a resounding thanks to Stefan and his American counterpart, our Steven!!

Lou

Lou said:
Yes, google is not so good with cognates heheh. I think it turned out very nice.

I think Stefan used chlorine just for the sake of using chlorine :p If you've read some of his other experiments (like the ketene generation thread), you'll see that chlorine is comparatively tame.

I've used chlorine a bunch, especially when I was working with water safety standards for chlorinization of drinking water. Key to dealing with it is mainly wearing a mask and goggles along with using a hood. That and it's a very heavy gas. I could pour some into a graduated cylinder and let it sit for 8 hours before it would diffuse away. So there's another caveat...don't do it in your basement!

Anyhow, a resounding thanks to Stefan and his American counterpart, our Steven!!

Lou

You probably wouldn't be able to breathe a lethal dose unless you were trapped. I walked into a cloud of it at an industrial site leak and my airway slammed shut. It took a couple of weeks to get over it.The gas is so nasty, most people won't deal with it for very long.
HF is the worst.

Ralph, I loved all the pics in that file,,, seems like you could do the same with catalytic converter material, (adjust chems a little) and for recovery, use a resin(dowex,resintech) freaking simple!!!!

Thanks froggy. I think a forum member sent that to me, i can't remember now. I don't know who the author is Ti-Che or something. I think i have seen it somewhere before that. I'm not sure it wasn't an ebay type pdf before it was changed or what.

About the ion thing i think you are on a good research track. I have done lot's of research into it to and find it promising. Not with resins though. :wink:

I dont recall anyone here ever using the resintech or the Dowex, thats what the big boys are using!

This is a thread I have looked at many times and I didn't realize how creative Stefan was when he worked on this project until recently.
Lou talks about Stefan using chlorine but I couldn't see that in this files
Maybe someone could explain that

Also how does Stefan make the Sulfur dioxide gas
He adds HCL into sodium Bisulfite
does he do this in a separate container and than what
Maybe someone could explain that too
Thanks

Stefan used chlorine to oxidize the Pd before precipitating.

You can generate SO2 using the set up shown in the Sulfurous Acid document on my website in the documents section.

Steve

This procedure is far from perfect regarding isolation of the palladium and platinum. The platinum precipitate obtained by this method contains a substantial amount of palladium as an impurity. Boiling alone doesn't seem to be sufficient to reduce all Pd(IV) to Pd(II), and some thus coprecipitates with the Pt(IV).
PGM salt precipitates obtained from an AR solution of dental alloys should always be regarded as crude products requiring further purification.

Back