is that could be palladium powder ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might help to know a little more.

What was the original material?
How did you process it?
How did you precipitate it?

Any details you add will help members to answer your questions.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
It might help to know a little more.

What was the original material?
How did you process it?
How did you precipitate it?

Any details you add will help members to answer your questions.

Dave
MLCC's

HCl + H2O2

precipate with copper ( Few black layer on th copper )

i left the remain solution for several days then i found this as white to gray precipitate and it become as per photo after drying

i suppose that palladium chloride have been decomposed over time is that possible?

It looks more like cemented silver to me, dissolve a small sample in nitric and test for any Pd using stannous, palladium will be the last to cement out so test your original solution too.

nickvc said:
It looks more like cemented silver to me, dissolve a small sample in nitric and test for any Pd using stannous, palladium will be the last to cement out so test your original solution too.

id didn't use nitric acid to dissolve silver i used Hcl with h2o2 only so there is non solvent silver chloride and i already filtered my solution very well before the precipitation

when i redissolve the powder it take very long time with (hcl + h2o2 ) and the solution color is yellow to orange

i cant get nitric acid in my country

i ll try to made some sttanos chloride to test but the powder well take very very long time to re dissolved completely

i have had look under microscope i didn't see any crystals

i added NH4cl to check if this is Cucl but there was no reaction

no nh4cl i added to the precipitated powder not the solution

but i have add some hcl with non ionic surfactant , i think that is the reason for precipitating the palladium if this is palladium

there is some of reductive compounds i have added without intention , which have make this powder and not the copper

now after days i think i have understand what is the reasons for diffrant palladium precipate colors

some time white ( this should be hte normal )

some time gray ( white with some black palladium oxide )

some time canary yellow ( white with yellow stain from the yellow color of pure palladium chloride solution )

some time red ( white wit red stain from either mix of palladium and other metals solution )

The 100% palladium is black. I recommend Dimethylglioxime for identification.
Also making NH4Cl alkaline will identify copper by blue hue

i see

Black but when u get from Nitric acid solution i mean palladium nitrate so during precipitation palladium is going to be oxidized so it become black

when my solution is chloride and all of H2O2 have broken to water so there is no oxidizer and palladium is pure white metal

Nh4cl have not make any reaction with my powder

also concentrated KOH have now reaction

last taste i tried to melt with propane gas and it have turned into gray without any melting ( if this was silver it should be melted )

A few short questions.
- How much MLCC:s did you start with?
- What is the weight of the gray powder?
- Have you saved the solids?

This doesn't look at all like palladium powder to me and I have always cemented the palladium from chloride solutions.

Göran

Göran

are you cementing with copper ? or other method ?

some of my palladium which was on the surface of copper plate was black

but the other which have precipitated with kind of non ionic surfactant

i have had around 4 kg of mlcc

the total amount of this powder which i have tell now is around 50 grams and i still precipitate some extra

the solution in the begging is red or brown and after precipitation it become dark green and some extra powder fall then it become normal green

some thing important i remind to mention

this color of powder is after washing without washing the powder is yellow

I cemented with zinc.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18564

The resulting powder after drying.
DSC_1621.jpg

I have also tested cementing solution from MLCC:s on copper wire:
DSC_2402.jpg

Did you test your washing solution with stannous?

You could easily test the dissolved powder with stannous to see if it is palladium.

Göran

this powder is palladium oxide (black)

i don't have pure tin to made stannous

i have take some of my solution and precipitate with aluminum foil i have black powder but may include other metals

i have put my powder under propane or boutan (i dont know exactly ) flame and it turns to gray

i put the gray powder in hcl to remove some borax i have added i found the powder in the solution black also

i ll re dry it and put the photo after drying

g_axelsson said:
You could easily test the dissolved powder with stannous to see if it is palladium.

Göran

...that would be easy, almost *too* easy..

bastinado said:
i don't have pure tin to made stannous

You don't need pure tin, some fellows on the board even just use pewter dissolved in HCl. Or solder.

What is this " kind of non ionic surfactant" you keep mentioning?
Also what are these? "there is some of reductive compounds i have added without intention"
And, what did you rinse the yellow powder with?

i dont know what exactly but my Hcl was not pure it have had non ionic surfactant , it may be ploy Etheline glycol or another type

here is the photo of the same sample powder the gray one was white and i opened flame on it it turn to this gray

then i wash it with hcl and water and re dry it it become gray du to the effect of the oxdizer flame

and that confirm my theory the palladium powder is originally white and the gray color is comong from some of palladium oxide

if it 100 % palladium oxide id become totally black

now is in the lower is color of palladium powder ?

if it is so this is the white one and it is also palladium

Attachments

• 20170103_220419.jpg
    20170103_220419.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 286
Back