Exotic Elements vs. Magnet | Part 5/5 | Platinum Group!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any metal has 999999/1000000 purity, the 1/1000000 impurity is mostly iron
hence magnetism. Was this considered?

Yes, he did mention that on testing quite a few of his samples lino.
You're a wise man!

I went back and watched all 5 parts, on a couple of the videos he encounters paramagnetism instead of diamagnetism and elaborates on why that is. It was actually a very good series.

Then, I had to watch his video where he plays with ferrofluid and ferroputty... Very cool 8) 8)

The drawing shows gold rejection/attraction according to purity and magnet strengthgold rejection1.jpg (Full details: riddle no.8 on http://www.facebook.com/Everymetalchemistry)

para- and dia- magnetic are quite easy to understand at the surface level.
(the deep workings are apparently all Quantum in nature)

Something that is is magnetic (like a magnet !) can have a magnetic field all of it's own, and even stick to Iron.

Something that is paramagentic won't attract iron at all, yet will be attracted to a magnet if it 'feels' the magnetic field. (un-magnetised Iron can be thought of as paramagnetic).

Something that is diamagentic won't attract iron at all either, yet will be repelled by a magnet if it 'feels' the magnetic field.

A cool experiment is to get a strong magnet and hold it near a thin stream of water running from a tap.

Obviously avoid getting the strong magnet near the steel basin ...

I was just at my local science education center picking up a couple things today, and me and the owner started playing with magnets. He had a thick tube of aluminum and told me to drop a little neodym magnet through its center. Was incredible to watch it slowly work its way down the tube without hitting the sides.

I will never grow tired of science.

Back