Jeweler's Work Bench Floor Mat and Wipes - VIDEO

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

A new video of processing jewelers waste:

https://youtu.be/reoc9k60lZQ

kadriver

Göran : Part 2 in this thread : http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=23659

i noticed that you started with a nitric leech first.... do you think your initial problems filtering could have been because of tin as well? i would think jewelers would use it a decent amount... or do you have a reason to believe that there would be no tin in the sweeps?

its just a thought, and i may very well have missed something, so i figured id throw it out there...

mls26cwru said:
i noticed that you started with a nitric leech first.... do you think your initial problems filtering could have been because of tin as well? i would think jewelers would use it a decent amount... or do you have a reason to believe that there would be no tin in the sweeps?

its just a thought, and i may very well have missed something, so i figured id throw it out there...

I don't think he uses soft solder. But that mat was from many years ago and who knows what ended up on the floor back then. He had it sitting in a bag in his shop. It could have been tin. You're not the first person to raise that question.

Thanks,
kadriver

kadriver said:
mls26cwru said:

I don't think he uses soft solder. But that mat was from many years ago and who knows what ended up on the floor back then. He had it sitting in a bag in his shop. It could have been tin. You're not the first person to raise that question.
I did some digging and found a couple tables that say tin is used in some hard solders--specifically, some 10-14K cadmium-free gold solder formulations and some easy Cd-containing ("Flo") silver solders. Some were as high as 5%.

Back