How to Make a Profit Refining Precious Metals - VIDEO

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah the forum is up for a day and you're posting another video to make more money for yourself.

I'm sorry but I have to be frank.

I would have posted the video much sooner, but the forum has been down...

"What's worth doing is worth doing for money". (Gordan Geko - Wall Street Movie)

"What's worth doing is worth over doing". (Steven Tyler - Aerosmith)

kadriver

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbUOkut6f0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

kadriver said:

"What's worth doing is worth doing for money". (Gordan Geko - Wall Street Movie)

kadriver

Maybe so. I do this for a living. However this place is "refiners helping other refiners" to me. Then again there's more and more people using it to make money rather than help other people. That's my 3 cent's worth.

Kadriver doesn't need to post the videos here as he has 40.000 followers on youtube, comparable to the 43.000 members of GRF.
His video has gotten 2600 views, this thread 92...

I see it as a service to GRF that he announces his new videos here and I have never heard him complaining when we comment on his technique or refining habits.

I say, keep them coming, it's better that newbies learn from his videos than all the crap that's prolific on the tube. That is helping other refiners.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Kadriver doesn't need to post the videos here as he has 40.000 followers on youtube, comparable to the 43.000 members of GRF.
His video has gotten 2600 views, this thread 92...

I see it as a service to GRF that he announces his new videos here and I have never heard him complaining when we comment on his technique or refining habits.

I say, keep them coming, it's better that newbies learn from his videos than all the crap that's prolific on the tube. That is helping other refiners.

Göran

I totally agree! His video's are the best on YouTube, not only the process itself but also safety and always a clean workarea. Keep them coming!

anachronism said:
kadriver said:

kadriver

Maybe so. I do this for a living. However this place is "refiners helping other refiners" to me. Then again there's more and more people using it to make money rather than help other people. That's my 3 cent's worth.

Always gotta be a cynic in the group....usually it's me!

Actually...I'm usually the cynic and the condescending one. That means I act like I know more than you.

In all reality, I'm just quick to see that other peoples solutions don't work as well, when they are applied to my problems. That's hardly their fault.

So, you do this for a living. Given your experiences, what are the problems you see in the video, or in Kevin's videos in general?

I started to list mine, but enough people on this forum already think I'm a condescending jerk...and the videos are well liked by most, they just aren't a solution to any of my problems. My problems are related to building a business, not making a small profit.

I liked the video and the conclusions. All the money is made on the purchase or mining and normally there is no need to go past inquartation and parting. Very well done.

cuchugold said:
I liked the video and the conclusions. All the money is made on the purchase or mining and normally there is no need to go past inquartation and parting. Very well done.

Until you try to scale up and have maybe an employee, so you don't have to work yourself until your brain explodes from the stress.

I've seen plenty of pawn shops close their doors, same for miners that are actually paying on a claim, as well as maintaining equipment, making equipment payments, environmental regulations, etc.

I mean, to really critique the video, lets really work out what "profit" is. I think a lot of people confuse the word profit with markup.

Again, the cynic.

There is no getting around it, you make your profit when you buy. The art of buying and getting a good deal is the key to success. And my wife, having done it for so long, has become a sort of expert at it. I've never thought of making refining a business. Someone once said that if you make your hobby your work then it becomes just that; work. My wife and I have the perfect situation that enables us to both do something that we love to do. She finds metal and I get to make my videos. I thank God for this gift and for my wife.

kadriver

snoman701 said:
cuchugold said:

Until you try to scale up and have maybe an employee, so you don't have to work yourself until your brain explodes from the stress.
I've seen plenty of pawn shops close their doors, same for miners that are actually paying on a claim, as well as maintaining equipment, making equipment payments, environmental regulations, etc.

I mean, to really critique the video, lets really work out what "profit" is. I think a lot of people confuse the word profit with markup.

Again, the cynic.

I believe that he was talking about his gross and net revenue.

Gross revenue
(Cost of Goods)
Net Revenue
(Direct Cost of Manufacture - Labor and Materials)
(Indirect Cost of Manufacture - Overhead, etc.)
Gross Profit
(Taxes)
Net Profit

Plus all the other accounting gobblygook I missed. :?

James

If it's a single person, the maths are easy.

Raw Material Cost = what you paid for the stuff.
Time Cost = (how much time you spent doing all of it) X (what you think your time is worth)
Processing Cost = (Cost of Chemicals and Electricity) X (how much you used)

Gross Profit =
(How Much You Sell it For) - (Raw Materials Cost + Time Cost + Processing Cost)

Nett Profit =
Gross Profit - ((Gross Profit) X (Tax Percentage))

If it's just sold for cash, 'Tax Percentage' is optional, right up to the point where there is a whole new set of equations with terms like (Whole Prison Term - (Good Behaviour Days X Parole Percentage))

Edit:

In a bigger setup (more than 1 person) the terms 'Gross' and 'Nett' are arguable.
In a Really Big setup, terms like 'Tax' can disappear completely, although new terms like 'Bribe' and 'Lawyer' need to come in.

Hey, everyone has an opinion and everyone's entitled to that. I don't slag someone off just because I don't agree with their point of view.

I don't like that people use this forum to promote monetised youtube videos, and I'm not alone in that opinion.

kadriver said:
There is no getting around it, you make your profit when you buy. The art of buying and getting a good deal is the key to success. And my wife, having done it for so long, has become a sort of expert at it. I've never thought of making refining a business. Someone once said that if you make your hobby your work then it becomes just that; work. My wife and I have the perfect situation that enables us to both do something that we love to do. She finds metal and I get to make my videos. I thank God for this gift and for my wife.

kadriver

She's clearly good at it, as finding 6 ozt of gold per month at yard sales, thrift shops and such means that she's hustling...and by that, I mean she's working her bum off. I used to spend a few days a week doing it. I've bought my fair share of precious metals on the used market, but nothing close to those numbers.

I didn't look at your Ebay items, but I assume you are also buying/selling other stuff as well. Some months Ebay sales have been a majority of my income, and none of it is precious metals related....I could source all of my income from yard sales, but I'm burnt out on it. It's what I learned to do from my parents. Dad passed in November, and I could probably survive for a few years just selling his hoard of vintage vacuum tubes. I need a change. I've got another two weeks until the wife is off from work, then we are liquidating a good portion of my hoard on Ebay.

aga said:
Superb video kadriver !

@anachronism & snowy : you're also extracting/refining to make Money no ?

This last video might urine off people who are scratching around in crappy e-scrap.

However, it shows in high detail how he's refining and making actual $.

IMHO it is his best video yet, in length, editing, and most importantly Useful Content.

Give credit where it is due, not just to people who suit your own ideas of how things should be.

An alternative would be to post here exactly how you do things to make $, alternatively do a utoob video.

Whining on a forum without offering any evidence is for losers.

Oh, stuff it...all I'm offering is the opinion, based upon a lifetime of experience in the secondhand market, that those numbers are tough to achieve without his wife really busting her butt as a sole collector of precious metals from public retail offerings. And if she's working half as hard as I think she probably is, that's not a lot of profit for the effort she has to put forth. If she's happy doing it, then that's awesome...it's like kadriver said, it makes life rewarding.

And for all of those people that think you make your profit on the buy...please, come and buy all of the stuff I've bought really really cheap. I'll give you values and descriptions of items that will make you 100% returns on every item I sell you. Bring at least $10k and a box truck.

My point...It's not profit until it's sold.

anachronism said:
Hey, everyone has an opinion and everyone's entitled to that. I don't slag someone off just because I don't agree with their point of view.

I don't like that people use this forum to promote monetised youtube videos, and I'm not alone in that opinion.

Ok, ignoramous here.

You mean kadriver gets paid every time someone watches his video?

How is a monetised video differentiated from a free video?

How much money we talkin?

snoman701 said:
anachronism said:

Ok, ignoramous here.

You mean kadriver gets paid every time someone watches his video?

How is a monetised video differentiated from a free video?

How much money we talkin?

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtlev4l4IYk&t=1041s

He's an AU mate that works on the ewaste side. He has some interesting vids too.

I believe that he is also a member of GRF

James

Back