Lazersteve's DVDs Q & A

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazersteve

Staff member
Information about Lazersteve's DVDs.

I host a button for Chris Owen (Goldsilverpro aka GSP) on my web store to help him sell copies of his Refining Manual. I do this a favor to him and charge him nothing for the service. He receives all payment and handles the delivery of the guide to anyone who purchases it. It clearly states on my web store page that the Refining Guide is purchased as a separate transaction and delivered separately from any other items bought through my store.

GSP's Guide is an excellent book that covers his years of refining complete with techniques and scrap data not found in other compiled sources. I highly recommend you buy it. Another member posted the index and he has posted excerpts from the Refining Guide on the forum here:

The Complete Guide To Gold and Silver Scrap Index

He will have to link you to the excerpts, I think they are in the silver section.

The DVDs for sale on my web store are all 1 hour plus full length DVD titles that play on set top or computer players. They include menus and chapters for easy browsing.

The first in the series "Processing Pc Card Fingers with Acid Peroxide" is a compilation of videos from my website assembled in order to give the viewer a step by step video guide to using acid peroxide. The process shown on the video works for all copper base scrap. The DVD covers all stages of using Acid Peroxide from harvesting to melting the final gold button and all steps in between.

The second video in the series is "Processing Gold Filled Scrap" and details the process of refining Gold Filled scrap including preparation, calculating acid required, recovery, refining, precipitation, siphoning, filtering, and silver recovery. With this DVD and the acid peroxide DVD you can combined all that you learned and process nearly any type of scrap with some slight modifications to the techniques.

The third DVD is "Fundamentals of Platinum and Palladium" and demonstrates all of the steps to harvest, recovery, refine, calcine, melt, and prove Platinum and Palladium. On the DVD I process two types of catalytic converter material, but as the DVD title implies, the techniques learned on the DVD apply to processing any form of Pt or Pd scrap. This DVD is a must have for anyone who wants to learn to refine Pt and Pd.

Last year I released the "Silver Refining A to Z" DVD. It is slightly shorter than the other DVDs, but is the best quality production to date. On the DVD I demonstrate the complete process of setting up a miniature (1 Liter beaker scale) silver purification cell. I cover all stages from cell construction, making the electrolyte, operating the cell, harvesting the crystals, casting anodes, casting the resulting 999%+ pure bars from the cell, and clean up of the cell. As a bonus I demonstrate some other silver recovery techniques.

In the next few weeks I'll be releasing my fifth DVD "Testing and Refining Karat Gold" . This DVD will be the best one yet. I demonstrate testing and identification of karat gold, super close up shots of various gold markings, separation of plated and gold filled from karat, touch stone testing, acid testing with needles, inquarting, recovery of the inquarted gold, refining of the resulting gold, filtering techniques, precipitation, and finally casting uniform gold bars such as these:

thin_mints_54_47g.jpg

Although the DVDs do cover some of the same material Chris has in his refining guide, you will learn a lot from both sets of items. I made the DVDs prior to Chris releasing the Guide, but his guide was created before any of the DVDs. We did not collaborate together on the guide and the DVDs.

The DVDs are geared towards visual learners. The DVDs also contain valuable lab techniques that are not listed in any of the guides you will find. These lab techniques apply to all of your recovery and refining efforts.

As I stated in the post above, all of the DVDs play on your standard set top DVD player, PS3, XBOX360, etc., and your computer.

Steve

Hi steve, I bought your videos, simply excelletn job!!!!!.

I have a question. Could I use the gold filled dvd methodology to refine gold platted pins from circuitboards?, what is the best way to start processing after harvesting it?.

Is there a dvd to work on Integrated circuit, also known as quad IC, which contains microscale gold wires inside?. How can one use your method to work on processors?

The gold filled techniques will work for all kinds of plated material. Unless you can get a good price on nitric acid you may want to consider some of the other more economical methods for the lower yielding scrap. Low yield plated scrap is best stripped in the cell with copper mesh.

The gold from ceramic cpus can be recovered using the Modiifed Poorman's AR technique I have posted.

I'm almost done with my newest DVD: Testing & Refining Karat Gold. Be sure to watch my web store for it in the next week or so.

Steve

Hi lazersteve: I want to know what is the best way to refine gold plated plugs like those used in Car Sound Systems, also gold plated fuses, and 24K gold plated battery terminals. Do you know what is the yield or % of recovery of those kind of plugs, terminals and fuses? There is some experience with those accesories?

some examples taken from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-RAGU805-Amp-Fuses-Gold/dp/B0002EXJI4/ref=pd_sim_auto_1
http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-GFBW5-ANL-Guage-Round-Fuseholder/dp/B00029WQMO/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301335461&sr=1-11
http://www.amazon.com/METRA-GBT3N-Gold-Battery-Terminal/dp/B0002EXMHC/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301335461&sr=1-13
http://www.amazon.com/METRA-GBT2N-Gold-Battery-Terminal/dp/B0002EXMGS/ref=sr_1_25?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301335537&sr=1-25

Strip them in the sulfuric cell.

The typical gold yields are quite low on this type of scrap less than 1/2% (< 0.005 ) at best.

I would look for some better scrap to work with, especially if this is your first recovery go around. Also don't buy them at the prices listed in your links or you'll be kicking yourself once you see there is little to no gold on them.

If you can get these items for free, they may be worth processing if you can't find any other material and you have many pounds to work.

Steve

first off for my first posts sincere and most appreciative gratuity to this forum and all its contributors. Harold, Steve , goldsilverpro , 4metals, Lou, and of course Lazer~*>Steve<*~. and so many many more. THANK YOU FOR YOU SELFLESS GIFT OF KNOWLEDGE I have spent pert near the better part of two years absorbing as much of this forum that can fit in my pea-nut for a brain. And thank you for not putting every thing in layman's terms. Its has really helped me to come in contact with part of myself i never imagined possible. sorry about the run-ons.
And Lazer, steve , umm Mr. steve or mr. lazer steve i think you site is a wonderful accompaniment to this one and would be honored to purchase one of your (which i could only expect it to be equal in its it) DVD. could i send you a money order or wire. I would just donate but i really want to check out you PGM DVD partly because i wonder if you going to show you face Bat man. ha ha lol. But mostly because if it wasn't for y'all I would of never had been able to make seven tozes @ around 75% profit last year going for ten this year.

sincerely
~*~Jay~*~

lazersteve said:
Strip them in the sulfuric cell.

The typical gold yields are quite low on this type of scrap less than 1/2% (< 0.005 ) at best.

I would look for some better scrap to work with, especially if this is your first recovery go around. Also don't buy them at the prices listed in your links or you'll be kicking yourself once you see there is little to no gold on them.

If you can get these items for free, they may be worth processing if you can't find any other material and you have many pounds to work.

Steve
Thanks Steve. yes I know there is no business buyinf first hand material, I have a contact with people in car sound systems business and the idea is to obtain it as scrap.

I hope to learn more before I attempt to do my first refine. Where in your DVDs are information about sulfuric cell? In Silver DVD? I have already not see it.

What is the kind of better scrap that you mention?. CPUs or scrap jewelry? or it isbetter to work with low karat gold?

The only videos I currently have on the sulfuric stripping cell are viewed for free on my website.

I'm in the process of finishing up my Testing and Refining Karat Gold DVD and plan on working on a DVD demonstrating the stripping cell soon. I get lots of requests for this DVD.

The silver refining cell DVD is a completely different subject than the sulfuric stripping cell.

The best return for your time spent refining will be karat gold, followed by gold filled jewelry, then very well cleaned (free of plastic and trash) medical, aerospace, and military contacts, ceramic cpus, and lastly gold colored escrap and fingers.

I don't bother with refining whole boards or even newer fiber cpus for the most part. I will harvest specific components from boards before selling the remains.

Steve

Steve,
I know about "bumps in the road". How soon will your new DVD be ready. Your gold filled scrap taught me to Keep It Simple.. I felt the Stupid part when I blew up my first AR batch when I was boiling off the nitric.
I am refining from mining ore. Very adventurous. Since I do it in N.Ga. the ore is very pure, so I feel I can use your processes. I have to use less AR because I don't know how much gold I have in the ore. It now being summer, I will have to wait till it turns cold. Maybe one dredge trip. Don't like copperheads and rattlesnakes. I will immediately buy the Karet DVD when it's ready.
Indy

INDY864 said:
I felt the Stupid part when I blew up my first AR batch when I was boiling off the nitric.
I hate to belabor the point, but I can't stress enough, that evaporating should not be referenced as "boiling off". Please refrain from such terminology. You're sending the wrong message to those that hope to learn. One does not "boil off" nitric---it is properly evaporated at temperatures below boiling, to avoid losses.

Harold

Thank You Harold,
My apologies for using "boiling off". I was evaporating the Nitric outside and somehow turned the heat up too high. The bowl was pyrex. But my wire spacer underneath the pyrex I didn't position correctly. The pyrex broke and I lost a day's mining and a day's refinning. I have a great picture but I haven't learned how to post it. As I said in Steve's note, I have to wait for the snakes to retreat before I go back.
Indy

jimdoc said:
INDY864 said:
Harold,
Also, how may I buy your book?
Indy864

I think we all wish Harold wrote a book.

Jim
A waste of my time, considering all I do is parrot Hoke. I owe almost eveyrthing I learned to her and her book.

Harold

All,

Due recent changes in my career path, the production of the Karat Gold DVD has been delayed. I apologize to eveyone waiting and hope to have the free time to complete it in the near future.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for your comments and help. Timing is everything. Maybe you can do it by winter. The snakes will be gone then here in N. Ga. I will continue to take my lumps and refine, refine, refine.
Indy

Steve,

I love the first three DVDs I purchased from you and will be placing an order for your PGMs DVD very soon, along with a couple other goodies from your site. I hope your career change is going smoothly and that you will soon be able to produce your 5th DVD. I am in the middle of a career change myself and will be moving out of state within the next few weeks.

Thanks again,

TigWiz

Hey Lazersteve, been watching alot of the videos on the website, awesome job, I would like to know a couple of things. Is the refining of rolled gold and gf process done with the cell? In your video do you go through the process step by step how to percipitate the gold from the cell? I am so new to this but have alot of access to jewelry that rg and gf some plated. If I buy that video is it a good one for NOOBs like me??? Also wondering about chemicals, purchasing and disposal.....Thanks

Trying to figure out why I can't see the videos ? I see the list of them, and click show.. Then the individual videos come up.. I choose one, and it goes to another screen and NOTHING happens... Am I doing something wrong ? I have tried with Internet Explorer, Firefox, and my Droid, and all three have done the exact same thing... Please help ? I am much more able to learn if I can SEE someone doing it...

Thanks so much

Also, I am about to purchase several of the DVD's, so I don't guess it really matters if I can watch the free clips on the website.. Steve, have you gotten your new video out yet ? I would like to have it as well...

Thanks so much

Back