Stannous Chloride and Tin

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day to all in the States

Don't know the price of Stannous over there, but it's a bit costly here in Australia. So why not make my own? 2 grams of pure tin powder and 30 ml HCl. Also you can use tin solder.

My question is in relation to the tin solder. I can buy 99.3% tin .7% copper solder. Would the small amount of Cu in the solder effect the resulting Stannous? I can get 80 g of this solder for less than $A10 compared to paying $209 for 500 g.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Hi there.

I can't specifically answer your question in a chemist's way however I can say that I use "off the shelf" tin solder for my Stannous and it works perfectly.

Hi
After reading many topics here I found we can make stannous chloride from solder with 95% tin and Ag-copper alloy too (My solder is 96% TIN - 3% silver and 1% copper)
Because silver and copper don't dissolve in HCl and they remove in filtration step we don't have problem but I can not understand something
Can we drop some of this solder (that contains a little silver and copper) in Stannous chloride to stays fresh?
Or it contaminates our Stannous chloride?

Thanks

Back