Are home made gas lines safe?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinhcase

Supporting Member
I have just bought a gas economizer.
gas-economiser-1312-p.jpg
It should help with safety and speed up working.
Now I have a good bundle of fuel and oxygen lines that are far longer than are needed.
I can save one set full length,but would like to trim down a set to reduce tangles and wasted gas when purging.
Obviously a straight jubilee clip would be inadvisable as they can stretch over time and have a small gap by the retaining thread.
There are two main kind's of hose crimp I can find which may do the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jubilee-O-Clips-Gas-Hose-Crimps-Pack-10-VARIOUS-SIZES-/171475752857?var=&ash=item27ecc05799:m:m3Enfpwyom0Qv3DUOeniC9w
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-16-Fuel-Line-gas-tube-hose-kit-with-ferrule-press-Triumph-BSA-ferruls-crimp-/381782026553?hash=item58e3fb6939:g:vr0AAOSwaA5WjcC6
can any one point me to a hand book or set of recommendation's.
It would be good to be able to use what I have in hand.
Regards
Justin

Here in the states the better auto parts stores also will make up hydraulic hoses. Custom lengths and so forth. You might check with them, could get a professional end crimped for not much money.

rickbb said:
Here in the states the better auto parts stores also will make up hydraulic hoses. Custom lengths and so forth. You might check with them, could get a professional end crimped for not much money.
Thanks.
We do have quite a number of agricultural shops that do hydraulics, I will see if any will help.
Will have to check they use a better system than a hand crimp.
Regards
J

Had to repair lines all the time, cut out a foot, splice it back together. Just used barbs and screw type hose clamps.

I am not a fan of the brass ferrule type crimp with the hammer type crimper. If you use the vise grip type crimper it's ok, but your ferrule is usually matched to the barb and the hose...so it's usually easier to just keep screw type hose clamps on hand.

snoman701 said:
Had to repair lines all the time, cut out a foot, splice it back together. Just used barbs and screw type hose clamps.

I am not a fan of the brass ferrule type crimp with the hammer type crimper. If you use the vise grip type crimper it's ok, but your ferrule is usually matched to the barb and the hose...so it's usually easier to just keep screw type hose clamps on hand.
I use screw type hose clamps or Jubilee clips as we call them over here for my propane. I have so many different burners and rings I would not be able to set up with out them.
But I was unsure if I could just chop and fix Oxygen and Acetylene the same way.
It is potentially a higher pressure and has more detrimental consequences to mistake than good old LPG.
I did make sure I bought a set of Propane/Acetylene fuel lines which are a different colour to the straight Acetylene lines I inherited.
I suppose I could just blow them up with compressed air under pressure and seal over night. If they still have pressure in the morning they should be good to go.
I may rig up a test length of the different available clips and see for my self which I proffer.
After seeing the demonstration of what happens to auric chloride when you have acetylene present I have good motivation to get it right.
I have built a separate bottle shed for the compressed gas and the Acetylene has it own rather unique and lovely stink which should alert me to a problem during storage.
But the possibility of a leak on a fuel line during use always has my heckles up.
I did have a white hot shard of steel melt through a line once and it scared the bejebys out of me, like a live snake belching fire.

justinhcase said:
I did have a white hot shard of steel melt through a line once and it scared the bejebys out of me, like a live snake belching fire.

Yeah, I would bet that is one scary sight... I know I'd be going inside to change my trousers..

justinhcase said:
snoman701 said:

I use screw type hose clamps or Jubilee clips as we call them over here for my propane. I have so many different burners and rings I would not be able to set up with out them.
But I was unsure if I could just chop and fix Oxygen and Acetylene the same way.
It is potentially a higher pressure and has more detrimental consequences to mistake than good old LPG.
I did make sure I bought a set of Propane/Acetylene fuel lines which are a different colour to the straight Acetylene lines I inherited.
I suppose I could just blow them up with compressed air under pressure and seal over night. If they still have pressure in the morning they should be good to go.
I may rig up a test length of the different available clips and see for my self which I proffer.
After seeing the demonstration of what happens to auric chloride when you have acetylene present I have good motivation to get it right.
I have built a separate bottle shed for the compressed gas and the Acetylene has it own rather unique and lovely stink which should alert me to a problem during storage.
But the possibility of a leak on a fuel line during use always has my heckles up.
Wouldn't worry too much. I've had lines catch on fire, lines with gaping holes, etc. Just be smart about where the flame is.

For testing, I just use soapy water. It's not like a gas line where you run the risk of filling up a basement...you should never have your tanks just "on".

..you should never have your tanks just "on".[/quote]
When I am welding I do have to turn on and off at the torch quite a lot,which is why I got the Gas economizer.
That will shut down the torch once it is hung up,which will cause the line pressure to rise to the point the regulator ceases to deliver gas.
It also has a nice pilot flame stuck on top so a blow out would ignite very sharpish..
I do like my exothermic reactions but any uncontrolled combustion involving compressed O2 would not be nice. :lol:
But as I know what the line pressure will be I should be able to test to a higher tolerance.
I do plan all my hot work for the same time so I am not shutting down and purging more than I need to.
The line is under pressure while I work for an hour or two the torch actually in use for about half that.I then purge even when I have a tea brake just to be safe.you never know when you will have some thing come up which will cause you to forget.

Has any one used one of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-making-Jig-LPG-Argon-and-OXY-EZYFIT-LP-Speedy-Fit-/111090139591?hash=item19dd7d01c7:g:dpcAAOSwEzxYcELX
I think as the savings are marginal on the number of hose I need at the moment.
I will just have to bite my pride and buy a couple of new hose.
yet an other bit of kit to watch out for at the Auctions and bankrupt company liquidations.

Back