Did I screw up.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonrms

:wink: I have been breaking down phones. Computers 24ct gold thickly plated pen making materials from failed kits i make. Now I also have with alot of cpu boards took off most of the plastic and smelter these all in bars for easier storage. No I am regretting this as I am in the UK with no nitric acid. Heck battery acid is on a no sell or watch list. I have bought Hcl 36% the best I could do. I have hydrogen peroxide at 12% again the best. I bought beech and a few other chemicals to try to set up my man cave lab. I must have over 50 kilos of bars and there us still more. I have a few ideas about the bars but my DREAM would be to have them dissolved in nitric acid .. I feel I may need go smelt them again and put drops in iced water for small refining. Is refining in the UK dead? To me I put in alot of time and now am just about ready to hopefully refine and get the bullion assayed afterwards for easy resale for the future. I know there is copper Rhodium Pallidium Platinum and silver in these bunches. Obviously it was easier with nitric acid to Save the copper and silver.

Anyone have suggestions? I won't start any chemical process without more knowledge. Thankfully I will speak next month to a chemist who is rather clever in these matters. But new to the forum I would appreciate your support and help. Especially from any UK residents who are struggling too

The first thing to do is stop melting your scrap into bars as this will make recovery let alone refining a lot harder and a lot more expensive. If this is an ongoing project then do some research into how the members do their recoveries, with the bars you already have perhaps use AP to dissolve the base metals and leave the values behind but you are in for a long job or if you are going to have an ongoing supply of material perhaps use the bars to cement your future waste solutions, this will scavenge any values from your solution and recover the values from the bars for free.

If it helps i have found 38% Nitric being sold by hydroponics suppliers as ph adjuster.

speed said:
If it helps i have found 38% Nitric being sold by hydroponics suppliers as ph adjuster.

Well found let’s hope it’s freely available to all as many members struggle to get it to use.

jonrms said:
That's great news. I would love a pm with a link.

Just study the forum a lot before using the nitric. The handling of nitric and the fumes it generates when dissolving metals can be quite dangerous. From your posts, at this point, you seem to be a walking disaster waiting to happen. Look before you leap. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem that your friend knows much more than you do. Get your information from this forum and no place else. Mainly listen to people here that have been members for quite awhile and have a lot of posts. Be very leery of anything on youtube, unless the video is made by a known, long-time forum member - about 80% of what's on youtube is worthless or dangerous or both. Don't try to invent a new mousetrap until you've been here a couple of years, have made a few hundred posts, and have hands-on experience with forum-proven processes. I would guess that about 95% of all worthwhile information relating to precious metals refining on the internet is found on this forum and this forum alone..

Back