Linear CCD from scanners

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowfoil

I take even all in one printers apart to gather chips for processing, which is basically loosing game, but once a while, I get rewarded with north/south bridge. The other value I collect is optical bar with linear ccd, right under the scanner glass. It moves there and back while scanning image. It is about 9" x 1/2" peace of circuit board, with exposed linear ccd almost as long as the board, some circuitry and between 100 and 200 gold bonding wires, depends on the model. It is mounted underneath black plastic with linear lens and illuminator. I have more than 200 of them, but not sure how to process them. The only process I could think of is HCl first, to get rid of tin and then AP to free ccd chips with bonding wires. I searched this forum some time back with very limited results. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC09030.JPG
    DSC09030.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 180
  • DSC09028.JPG
    DSC09028.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 180
  • DSC09023.JPG
    DSC09023.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 180
yellowfoil said:
The only process I could think of is HCl first, to get rid of tin and then AP to free ccd chips with bonding wires. I searched this forum some time back with very limited results. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Those boards and the ink cartridges are the only reason I still get printers/scanners.

Make sure and remove the plastic first. A small flat screwdriver can fit between the plastic and board and pop it out. Sometimes there's a couple tiny screws holding it on.

I agree with the way you want to do this. Remove the solder and components with HCl, then process in AP to get the gold off the board. The bonding wires will most likely come off with the other components, so make sure to filter everything.

I tried scraping these clean with a chisel, but lost some of the bonding wires. HCl seems to be the easiest way.

If anyone can think of a better way, please let me know also.

Edit - spelling

Back