Lost PM

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddB76

I had a long PM almost ready to Submit to goldsilverpro and it vanished ! Lots of work down the drain. :cry:

Is there a way to recover it ?

Thanks,
ToddB76

Unfortunately, not that I know of. :( There is an option to "Manage PM drafts" in the User Control Panel, but you have to Save the draft yourself. I don't believe the forum software does any kind of autosave.

I've had it happen numerous times over the years. If I'm working on a long post or PM, I either copy and save the text as I work on it, or I write the text in a text editor like notepad or something similar. When I'm done, I copy it and paste it into the forum's edit box. You could also use the Save draft button, but if the forum hickups I'm not sure what might happen.

I wish I could be of more help.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your comments ! :)

I've been a member of many websites over the years, mostly those focusing on metal detecting and various other fields involving scientific subjects and have had my share of losing Posts and PM's into the cyber netherworld.

If I know ahead of time that my post is going to be long, I type it out on Word Pad and then, as you suggested, copy and paste into a forum edit box. Actually, from time to time, I use all of the methods you suggested. However, I usually just plunge into writing and sometimes, depending on the subject, I might find it necessary to temporarily jump on the Internet to get my facts straight, then go back to the forum to finish and time gets away from me. This opens up the possibility of being "timed out" and I lose my work ! It's my own fault and I just need to be more careful. So I'll re-create my PM using Word Pad this time. :wink:

Todd

I've lost quite a few posts during the last 11 years. It's easy to do. When I lost a long one, I was not a happy camper. For awhile, I wrote them in Word and then pasted them onto the forum. That worked, of course, but that habit slowly slipped away. On some forums I'm on, a tiny barely noticeable message flashes on every 15, or so, seconds, in the bottom right corner, saying it has saved what you have written. Nice feature.

Back