CM Hoke Available - should I buy it?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

I have found a copy of this book online. It is a rare book and not too plentiful.

The asking price is $250 and I am considering buying it.

I was able to check-out the book from the public library, so I have had it in my hands and I must say it sure beat the downloaded copy - much more compact and mobile.

I asked the library if I could buy the book. They said I could say that I lost it, pay the fee and fine, and just keep the copy. But I don't think thats a good way to do business.

I have a downloaded copy, but it takes up two large 3-ring binders.

Having the actual book would be way more convenient as I like to carry the information with me at times and read on the go.

For me the issue is already settled - I am ready to buy the book.

But my wife, whose opinion I respect, has directed me to consult the forum.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share on this matter?

Thank you - kadriver

I most give the crdit to GSP.
He suggested those books links to me.

At first i posted links to Amazon books, where the prices are extremely high.

samuel-a said:

Harold originally found the Gesswein link about 4 years ago.

This forum is pure GOLD.

I am bad about shooting from the hip - a character defect of mine.

But ocassionally I will listen to my wife (alot more here lately). She is the one who insisted I consult the forum! And it has paid off again.

This is exactly what I am looking for - Thank you all for steering me in the right direction.

samuel-a: thank you for posting that link.

Now, off to buy my book at a fraction of what I was going to pay.

kadriver

goldsilverpro said:
samuel-a said:

Harold originally found the Gesswein link about 4 years ago.
Thanks, Chris.
The copy from Gesswein is just that--a copy---but it contains all of the pertinent information, which is the point of the book. I've seen one---it's well worth the price.

Owning an original copy is nice---I have one----but a new copy will serve the needs just the same, and it will be in far better condition, and last through the years. That may not be true of a copy that is already 70 years old. Mine is showing its years.

Keep a working copy (from the download) in your lab, where it is likely to be damaged, and keep the hard copy for reference---or bedside reading.

It is my opinion that NO ONE should try refining without a copy of this book. That's not to short-change Aamen's book in any way. The thing with Hoke's book is she speaks to the reader as if the individual has no knowledge of chemistry, so the terms used are basic and fundamental, making it very easy to understand what is being taught. It also puts readers on a common footing, so topics can be discussed in terms that make sense to everyone.

Enjoy your new book.

Harold

I received my copy of Refining Precious Metal Wastes by C.M. Hoke

I ordered it Monday evening and it came in the mail today - Thursday.

I saved $200 thanks to my wife and this forum - Thank You!

kadriver

kadriver said:
I received my copy of Refining Precious Metal Wastes by C.M. Hoke

I ordered it Monday evening and it came in the mail today - Thursday.

I saved $200 thanks to my wife and this forum - Thank You!

kadriver

Just bought my hard copy of Hoke too... Glad I didn't buy from Amazon. I downloaded the .pdf file and put it into 3 binders a while ago, but it is cumbersome, so we shall leave it in the lab as advised.

kadriver, we should throw a forum pizza party with our savings, in honor of GSP...

:p

Sounds like Harold Has the museum quality C.M. Hokes book.
I love my lil hardback copy.

Buying the book is an investment (well spent Money), studying can make your investment back plus some, the education is the icing on the cake, what a great little cookbook.

There is an ex library copy with free shipping on Ebay ending in about 6 hours, it is at $16.49 as of now.
I already have a hard copy or I would be bidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170785250608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Jim

Anyone who wants a hardback copy of hokes refining bible Do not buy on ebay. I recently bought a copy for around 80$ It was a best offer posting. Well it turns out the seller was a drop shipper of sorts and the commerical Invoice was included in the package This is a hardback reprint from 2003 by met-chem research. Its being sold for $54.75 plus around 8$ shipping. The company selling it is Gesswein. They sell Alot of stuff we use and I reccomend checking it out. I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I know I never stumbled upon it before and I've done plenty of searching. Anyway I wanted to share the lowest price I've seen for a hard copy of hokes. https://www.gesswein.com/p-3263-refining-precious-metal-wastes.aspx
Legend mining supply has a flimsy version also for around 40$ give or take.

Not trying to be mean... but Gesswein have been mentioned 66 times before on the forum.

It's hard to find something new to write about that hasn't been discussed already.

:wink:

Göran

kadriver said:
I have found a copy of this book online. It is a rare book and not too plentiful.

The asking price is $250 and I am considering buying it.

I was able to check-out the book from the public library, so I have had it in my hands and I must say it sure beat the downloaded copy - much more compact and mobile.

I asked the library if I could buy the book. They said I could say that I lost it, pay the fee and fine, and just keep the copy. But I don't think thats a good way to do business.

I have a downloaded copy, but it takes up two large 3-ring binders.

Having the actual book would be way more convenient as I like to carry the information with me at times and read on the go.

For me the issue is already settled - I am ready to buy the book.

But my wife, whose opinion I respect, has directed me to consult the forum.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share on this matter?

Thank you - kadriver

I got my copy in late 2019 (before I discovered Gold Refining Forum), for $55 and shipping.
It was still new, although printed in the 1940s.
Got it from RioGrande.com, Item # 550600.
https://www.riogrande.com/product/refining-precious-metal-wastes-book/550600
The .pdf version available here has more information than the hardbound version.

-- Thipdar

Back