Review: Loewen's "Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Wastes"

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsilverpro

In Remembrance
Moderator Emeritus
A much neglected book on this forum is Loewen's, "Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Wastes." - 250 pages. I think it was written in the 70s and then re-published by Met-Chem in the 90s. I only recently bought it and thought it was excellent. Why I didn't buy it before is a mystery. And, the price is right.
http://www.lmine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LMS&Product_Code=17208&Category_Code=assaying

If you want a book that covers the processing of all types of jewelry scrap, in excellent detail, from soup to nuts, with lots of full page photos (mainly of the equipment he uses) and sketches, this is the book for you. The guy ran or owned a real medium sized refinery and he wants to show you around it and tell you how everything works. I saw no technical flaws in the processes. There's some things I might very well do differently but, what this guy teaches will work. Like me, he likes to do things on the cheap, but practical. Much of his equipment is homemade.

There are 10 pages on safety, 10 on sampling and assays, 56 on sweeps, 40 on gold refining, 24 on silver refining, 12 on PGMS, 24 on other refining methods, and 22 on pollution control. Tons on cyanide, aqua regia, melting, etc. He covers about every type of scrap even remotely associated with jewelry, and even some that are not. The index is good and there's a 20 page bibliography. I learned quite a few new things from this book and also saw many thought provoking concepts.

It is possible to become almost a complete (if there ever were such a thing) jewelry scrap refiner from either the Hoke or the Loewen book. However, you might learn twice as much if you have both of them. They cover the same subjects in a different manner and are very complimentary to each other. If you have both of these books along with Harold's, 4metals', Lou's, and, a handful of other member's posts on these subjects, you would know just about everything you would ever need to know about the processing of jewelry scrap.

I have had the hard cover of this book since the '80's but recently purchased the paperback for a client from Legend for less than 30 bucks.

He isn't too keen on small refiners using cyanide but then again either is this forum.

4metals said:
He isn't too keen on small refiners using cyanide but then again either is this forum.
That may not be much of an issue. I fully expect it is far more difficult to obtain, now, than nitric acid, although I could be wrong.
Cyanide has multiple uses---including case hardening of steel alloys.

Harold

Sure. Next time I go to the U.S. :cry:

by the way the hardcover at amazon sells for $350 - $400. Is it still copyrighted?. Maybe Legend sells photocopies... :shock:

I have owned a copy for several years now... it's a great book. Check IPMI's book list. My hardback copy was $50 if memory serves me correctly.

Steve

It seems like Legend is selling a new edition and it is still under copyrights.

I'm also pretty sure someone will gift a .pdf to me, along with some other assay books also in .pdf form. :lol:

Not that I need it urgently or anything. Just a consequence of the info revolution. The fair price of info is $0 once it is in the public domain. It just is. :shock:

HAuCl4 said:
it is still under copyrights. The fair price of info is $0 once it is in the public domain. It just is. :shock:

Just a thought chief , but I'd bet my last penny that the Author , who probably spent maybe months or even years of his life writing his book , would disagree.
Again , just a thought , :roll:
All the best and kind regards ,
Chris

kuma said:
HAuCl4 said:
it is still under copyrights. The fair price of info is $0 once it is in the public domain. It just is. :shock:

Just a thought chief , but I'd bet my last penny that the Author , who probably spent maybe months or even years of his life writing his book , would disagree.
Again , just a thought , :roll:
All the best and kind regards ,
Chris
I'd like to float in the air, flap my arms and fly like an eagle, but gravity won't let me. I'm not losing sleep over it either. Cheers and all the best to you too.

goldsilverpro said:
A much neglected book on this forum is Loewen's, "Small Scale Refining of Jewelers Wastes." - 250 pages. I think it was written in the 70s and then re-published by Met-Chem in the 90s. I only recently bought it and thought it was excellent. Why I didn't buy it before is a mystery. And, the price is right.
http://www.lmine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LMS&Product_Code=17208&Category_Code=assaying

If you want a book that covers the processing of all types of jewelry scrap, in excellent detail, from soup to nuts, with lots of full page photos (mainly of the equipment he uses) and sketches, this is the book for you. The guy ran or owned a real medium sized refinery and he wants to show you around it and tell you how everything works. I saw no technical flaws in the processes. There's some things I might very well do differently but, what this guy teaches will work. Like me, he likes to do things on the cheap, but practical. Much of his equipment is homemade.

There are 10 pages on safety, 10 on sampling and assays, 56 on sweeps, 40 on gold refining, 24 on silver refining, 12 on PGMS, 24 on other refining methods, and 22 on pollution control. Tons on cyanide, aqua regia, melting, etc. He covers about every type of scrap even remotely associated with jewelry, and even some that are not. The index is good and there's a 20 page bibliography. I learned quite a few new things from this book and also saw many thought provoking concepts.

It is possible to become almost a complete (if there ever were such a thing) jewelry scrap refiner from either the Hoke or the Loewen book. However, you might learn twice as much if you have both of them. They cover the same subjects in a different manner and are very complimentary to each other. If you have both of these books along with Harold's, 4metals', Lou's, and, a handful of other member's posts on these subjects, you would know just about everything you would ever need to know about the processing of jewelry scrap.

A fine suggestion indeed Chris.

I bought the book recently and think it is very good.

With the help of goldenchiled, i was able to save 40$ on shipping and taxes.

Back