GoldRefiningWiki.com

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_axelsson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi all,

I've been working on and off on a project for a while now... actually since last April. A few members know about this project and I already have one guest that have tested it.

Over time the forum has become harder and harder to search and there are few of us that actually have read every page. The ratio of new contributions to just the same questions asked over and over again is going down and old good threads gets lost in the noise. The question has been discussed before...
... but I've spent 10 minutes and I can't find any other posts than GoldSilverPro:s http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20063

I had thought about the problem before GSP:s post and come to the conclusion that a wiki site would be the best way to collect all the knowledge on the forum. What I hadn't realized was the amount of work required. I didn't want to just make an empty website without some structure. So I started adding pages with links back to GRF as GSP suggested. After a while I realized I wanted to do more so I started to research some areas that I was interested in.... then it struck me that I could make the site around Hoke's book... Bad idea, it's format doesn't translate so easily but I still wanted to have the book online so it would be possible to link to a specific page. The book became a separate project and the structure of the wiki started to emerge by itself as I added more pages.

The early pages are quite bad and needs rewriting, some pages are only a link to the forum. The safety and dealing with waste is almost non existing...

A few points...

• * The wiki is open for editing from anyone that creates an account. I don't know how it is going to work out, if it becomes a problem I'll restrict editing to only approved members.
    * I suggest looking at the code from a page you think is good and copying it if you want to create a new page.
    * If you find anything to improve, please do. As it is a wiki anything done can be undone so there are no danger of destroying something.
    * The main purpose of this site is to be a resource for the refining community. I will give it quite a lot of liberty to grow but if I find a lot of abuse then I will have to put up limits.
    * The site is run on my server at home. There might be down times and the site might be off line when doing upgrades / testing or just my router breaking down... Unless I'm getting a large sponsoring contract that will not change. 8)
    * I have added a google ad to the sidebar, it will give some money for running the server, But I configured it so that it should disappear if you are logged in. It's easier to remove ads from the site than adding it later on when people have made contributions.
    * I will allow commercial presentations of both sellers and buyers as long as it is short and factual. For example a list of what material you sell/buy and prices, location, contact info and so on. Commercial pages should be objective, like the wikipedia style.
    * Personal pages are encouraged, share your projects and add links to the forum where you describe them. Discussions is better kept on the forum.
    * Hoke's book is all on the wiki now. As it's a wiki it's easy to add the warnings that is needed. For example here on page 48.
... I have probably missed a few points...

But with all that said, welcome to the GoldRefiningWiki.com I hope we can make it into something special together.

Göran

Göran, congratulations on getting your site launched!! I know it was a huge effort!

I hope members will take an interest in helping to build the site.

Dave

Thanks! I hope the wiki can be a help for collecting good information. First as links into the forum and then as time goes on the information in the referenced threads will form the base of the page itself.

I have used the wiki as a note book, whenever I saw a good thread I made a page and added a link to the thread or post as a reference. When there are a number of good links it's easy to write an article on the subject.

I hope people will not be too shy to correct my English, I'm sure I have made a lot of mistakes along the way.

Göran

JHS said:
Goran,
Thank you for taking the time to do this.
john
Thanks! Combining two of my hobbies, computers and refining. 8)

It takes a lot of time but at the same time I learn a lot when I'm forced to do the research.

Göran

Don't know why I didn't see this thread earlier, but Thank You for doing this, and just created an account there also.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. I saw your new user on the wiki and recognized you. 8) Welcome.

Göran

Technical help needed with the goldrefiningwiki: When I attempt to visit this site both from Firefox in Windows 10 and Safari on an iPhone, the page is blank. Does anyone have ideas as to why this is? Much appreciated.

Matt

I caused it myself... did an OS upgrade on the server and the wikis on it died. I suspect it is a database problem but I haven't had time to sit down and locate the error yet.

I'll try to get to it in a day or two. I just finished a cad job, designing a circuit board and I have some days before the prototype boards arrives.

Göran

Right now, problem with my ISP, no one in my house have internet.

/Göran

I just switched to using my phone as wifi hotspot, but I think there is a lot of annoyed people in the 64 other apartments without internet... and TV too, as some have their cable via internet nowadays. :mrgreen:

Göran

Hi Gøran!
How is the refining wiki going?
I've tried quite a few times to go there, but no luck.
In Firefox only a blank page and a icon, IE gives an error (http 500 error) i think it was.
Is it coming back up again or is it on hold?

Regards PoA

I finally started to work on it just a few days ago. The server main board has been replaced for a more modern one... after it refused to boot. The thunderstorm and power cut was just the last straw, the capacitors were all bad. Then I had to replace the root disk, it was too old as it was a 17 year old PATA disk and the new main board only had SATA.

When the hardware were taken care of I had to tackle some software issues... first it was the boot. It was possible to boot via a rescue disk but apparently an update had taken out the boot sector by doing a half install of a new boot loader.
Finally it booted from disk and I could run a update. Now Apache webserver had introduced a new config structure that took out all of my websites so I had to edit every config script on my server.
Two days ago I got another wiki on the server up and running but there still is an issue with the goldrefiningwiki, but I'm working on it. There is some problem with access rights to the site, so it might be with the apache configuration scripts.

The main board is in my refining pile while the disk enjoys retirement on my hall of fame-shelf. :mrgreen:

I've been quite busy all summer and I don't know when I will be able to fix the last issues. I will be out of town next week and I need to do some accounting on my company, so it might take a while unless it's a quick fix and suddenly just work.
I'll make a post here as soon as it is up and running again.

Göran

Thanks for the update.
I just wondered if it had some issues with me :lol:

I hope it is a good sign that you have been busy.

PS!
I was looking forward to the the modern comments of Hokes book.

Back