Conical Molds

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acpeacemaker

At work we use smooth walled conicals. I'm going to start buying odd and end things for work at home. I was curious if anyone had experience with the ones that are layered graduated rings. Is there a different purpose they are designed for? They look like they could end up as a pain, but wasn't sure. At the same time it might be easier separating slag.

Thanks
Andrew

^ Yep. First thing I thought of was an inverted cone of good metal, with a slag that has a ridge to smack with a hammer. Bet the big refiners love that thing.

That's the thing. I work in the lab for a very large mine. I asked someone about it, and they acted like they never even have seen them. I thought maybe their protocol is kind of a "already set in their own way."

Do you have a picture of one? I cannot see a purpose of it being graduated as cone molds are classically used when most of what you are pouring off is slag or when you re-melt slag and flux it differently to get any remaining beads to coalesce into one bead which collects at the bottom of the cone.

There are basically 3 size cone molds commonly available, the assay cone mold, these are pretty small, about 2" across the top diameter and 1 1/2" deep. they usually come as either 2 alongside each other or as a line of 6 in a row. Next is the intermediate size is primarily for slag. It is 8" diameter and about 6" deep. This is a popular size. Finally the big boy is 19" in diameter and 14" deep. These are not something you lift up and move and they usually are purchased with a specially made steel wheeled dolly to move these about. All three of these type cone molds have smooth interior walls.

I'm searching through all the assay sites I've been going to and cannot find it so maybe it wasn't meant to be. :\ Could be because I'm on my phone to. I thought Legend had it but that's a negative.

The one I found was cast iron and a double mold. I thought I've come across it as graphite to, but I know graphite would be a poor choice altogether. The design of the mold is like a step drill bit but of course larger. I'll keep looking and post it if i come across it.
At work I'm familiar with the 8's and there are some inline 6 2"s. There is only a couple people I know of that handle the big ones and don't see them used often. (I don't know what size they are.) -edit I guess they are 19 I just haven't got to be acquainted with them yet.

Thanks
Andrew

The thing was is, the ones I had talked about had the inner walls to produce something similar to this pic. (Step drill bits) Of course, except larger. I couldn't ever find them again. :/

Thanks for the link. :p

Attachments

• image_11761.jpg
    image_11761.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 178
I would not think the steps would be a benefit - assuming you are pouring various melts in the mold how could you possibly end up with the correct level of flux at each step of the cone to knock off - I would think you would have some metals go above and below the steps and then it would be problematic

With the basic smooth cone molds that I posted previously - it seems that gravity is your friend and you simply knock off the above the metals you are after -

Better to check with Lou or 4 9s to be sure-

Grains of gold-

Back