Metal detector where and what to buy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wollie12

Hi all
I've been panning in a river and found some nuggets, and have been scanning the area with 1971 Whites VLF ,but only found relics of the old Boer war circa 1904.
I want to do a propper search in the area but need a detector that can snipe small nuggets or a reef much deeper.
Can anyone advice me on what to buy - I was thinking of a Garrett Scorpion stinger pro. Is this the one ?

Please advice

Wolter
South Africa

I would urge you to try to find someone who will let you borrow or rent whatever unit you are pondering. The good detectors are about $1200 USD and up, new. If you have a local supplier from whom you would buy such a thing, I would heartily suggest you try to get some names of folks who are happy customers. Pay their gas & buy their lunch & offer to go day-hunting with them, provided its not a 3-day trek into the wilderness. First, you may find someone who is willing to sell you an older unit for a lot less $$$. Second, you may learn a few things. In my experience, there are very few folks into detectors who do not have several units. They can tell you what sizes of coils are good for this kind of situation and all manner of user-lore like that.

I did this with a buddy who is an eager metal-detector. We went out a few times. I bought coffee and gas. What I discovered was that I didn't especially like the activity, at least in my local environs.

Thanx for the reply
If I can give you some background, the area I'm prospecting is in a highly mined area and the river beds were only mined in the late 1800's and no further exploration was done. The nuggets I found was at the botom of the stream, the higher I went the nuggets were visible up to one point where it stopped. My conclusion is that there may be a placer rock/reef where the gold originate from. In the river bed there is black sand and too much loose rock to scan with an ordinary metal detector, I need one that can access to more than two feet deep, the Ace 250, Whites and Relco Pacesetter and Coinmaster series 2 only go up to 6 to 8" and is not effective for small nugget prospecting. When I go prospecting I do it at least for a week and do not want to waste my time with a useless detector.
See this link - is this a good buy and will it be sufficient for my purpose ?
http://www.canadiantreasureseekers.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=410

There are some good recommendations in this thread here:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=9922

Good luck, hope you pull up lots of the shiny stuff!

-

Back