Newbie to metal detecting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritehere

Just picked a metal detector up a couple days ago. It's a cheaper version its a mpx digital (does anyone use this kind?). Anyways within the first 10 minutes of having it I dug a clad quarter and a couple pennies.
A half hour later I found myself with about half a dozen aluminum cans,four pull tabs, and some sort of twisted steel piece.
I only gave $50 bucks for the detector off of c-list and have only used it for about an hour (and only in my yard so far). And I have to say that I think I have found a hobby that I could really get into here. I can begin to see why so many enjoy this hobby.

Before you head out to public land, it is illegal to detect and dig on public land in some states and or locally governed properties. Illinois is one state I can think of. Just make sure to get permission from a land owner first, most people are ok with it.

We just returned from the Daytona Beach area. My brother-in-law brought his detector to find treasures left / lost in the sand. He found a car!!! Well it was a red matchbox car but a car just the same. Have fun with your new found hobby.

remember to keep your coil low to the ground all the time and when you are pinpointing, keep the coil moving to listen to the "spike" in sound, that will help you keep your hole smaller :) have fun. I carry at least one in my trunk 365 days a year.

I'll share a secret.Several years ago I took a trip back to new england,my home town.I went to my old elementry school.It had a grass lawn out front where we played at lunch time.I remembered finding coins there.It was no longer a school.I asked the current owner if I could do some metal detecting,and he said ok.four hours yielded 327 indian head pennies,112 silver dimes 31 silver quarters,and one $5.00 gold piece.(must have been the rich kids)Idid not find any halfs or dollars.I think that was because they were loo big to loose in the grass.Always fill the holes.It saves someone from from falling.
think outside the box,it's a lot of fun.
john

I'll share a secret.Several years ago I took a trip back to new england,my home town.I went to my old elementry school.It had a grass lawn out front where we played at lunch time.I remembered finding coins there.It was no longer a school.I asked the current owner if I could do some metal detecting,and he said ok.four hours yielded 327 indian head pennies,112 silver dimes 31 silver quarters,and one $5.00 gold piece.(must have been the rich kids)Idid not find any halfs or dollars.I think that was because they were loo big to loose in the grass.Always fill the holes.It saves someone from from falling.
john

I use a metal detector and search old abandoned home steads,crop fields,public parks and beaches in hopes of uncovering some long lost piece of the past. For me it's not about the gold,silver and other riches....it's about the rush I get when I uncover something that has been lost for years and knowing that I am holding something that at one time was held by the people who helped form this great nation...whether it be a lost piece of military history or a personal item of a man or woman who remembers what it was like when you had to actually had to put effort into day to day living.

ritehere said:
Just picked a metal detector up a couple days ago. It's a cheaper version its a mpx digital (does anyone use this kind?). Anyways within the first 10 minutes of having it I dug a clad quarter and a couple pennies.
A half hour later I found myself with about half a dozen aluminum cans,four pull tabs, and some sort of twisted steel piece.
I only gave $50 bucks for the detector off of c-list and have only used it for about an hour (and only in my yard so far). And I have to say that I think I have found a hobby that I could really get into here. I can begin to see why so many enjoy this hobby.

My son uses an MPX Digital and on some days the thing works better than my AT Pro. I guess it depends on the mineralization of the ground and MD settings.

$50? Be careful, once hooked... it can get really expensive :p

JHS said:
john

Heh, I did the same in my old elementary school. Unfortunately, they had resodded everything; however I did manage to find a patch of old dirt that yielded about $20 in coins, and a Staples Center Kings commemorative coin.

The Task for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation would love to hear from you.
They had those same rules overturned in NYC and other locations throughout the U.S.A.
They won't do anything unless you make them aware of the situation.

Back