looking for areas to hunt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseonbase

I recently bought a garret 350 and have been reading about areas to hunt. After I spoke to a recent customer of mine that happens to be an avid metal detector user and also a retired surveyor. He was telling me the best place to look is old homesteads and when he said old he means at least a hundred years and some of the best places to look on these grounds is the track to the homes out house locations. He said people always drop things when they gotta go. He also stated information about metes and bounds and plats that were drawn up and they usually started at an iron rod or corner/foundation stone to and old house. He also was telling me that this information is considered public record and most GPS coordinates are pretty close to the markings on these old hand drawn maps. The conversation was very intriguing listening to the items he's found and how areas around your very own property could be a gold mine to interesting finds. So if any of you guys didn't know about this stuff go check out your local county courthouse and see what you can come up with. If any of you guys have tried or know about this stuff lets hear about it, and if you try this always respect the land owners and get permission.

After the house either rots or is burned to the ground most you'll find is a couple of buckets of nails, most interesting stuff comes from the garbage pit located on the old Homestead.

I'd love to try out this hobby but last time i looked into to it it wasn't legal to use metal detectors in Sweden for some stupid reason. You can get a permit but sounds to me is so that you cant keep everything you find. If one even could get a permit.

The ACE 350 is ok for a beginner to learn with. I do not know if you are leaning toward coin or relic recovery, but you will have to learn that there are laws at every level of government regarding recovery of just about anything over 50 years old. Both the Feds and most States have antiquities laws. Each defines antiquities differently. Most counties and cities have their own laws regarding this also.

I do not mean to put a wrench in the gears, but you need to do a little research regarding what the local governments do not allow. In some areas this can also apply to private property.

For learning what your detector is trying to tell you, I would suggest setting up a test grid in your yard, if you have one. Various coins, relics, old jewelry, metal trash, and the like placed in the ground at various depths. Do this and you will quickly learn that a clad dime sounds differently than a silver dime, a zinc cent different than a copper alloy cent, and so forth. A coin lying horizontal will easily be detected while one lying vertical may be ignored.

The Ace 350 is NOT designed for prospecting or nugget shooting. While it is capable of detecting gold, it must be large, typically 1 gram or larger, and is likely to be identified as a bullet of similar item.

Detectors are tools, not toys. My detectors are all top of the line for their purpose. I spend as much time honing my skills so I know well the nuances of each machine. To become accomplished with a detector, you will have to do the same.

My best to you on this endeavor.

Back