Great Year of Metal Detecting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryptic

Found over 15 pounds of silver nuggets and 80 pounds of slab saw material. Here are a few shots of some of what was found including some native bismuth. Hope you all enjoy.

Attachments

• SILVER1.jpg
    SILVER1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 400
  • SILVER2.jpg
    SILVER2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 400
  • SILVER3.jpg
    SILVER3.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 400
Years ago,I did some collecting up there near Sudbury and over near Kapuskasing.There are many mines in that area. I got some great uranium ore samples from the Ranwyk Uranium mine. That was 35 years ago. Dont know how accessible any good spots are now,bu apparrantly you do. Thanks for sharing. What type of detector do you use? A minelab?

wire silver 001.jpgwire silver 005.jpgfinished product.jpgPerhaps you should try the minelab machine. You might find some good stuff! LOL. Just teasing.

Beautiful haul. I didn't make it this fall to see you. Work kept me tied up. Here's one you missed. It's from the same local as your finds.

Wire silver specimen, 73mm by 55mm. 632 grams.
This specimen contains one of the largest "horns" of wire recovered in recent years. When this area was being mined 100 years ago specimens like this were regularly thrown directly into the furnaces, as it is virtually pure silver. Today, it's so rare that it's almost never found.

This is a type of secondary silver deposit. How this was formed over hundred's of thousands (millions) of years is silver is leached one ion at a time out of near surface deposits bu water, and then precipitates into these amazing crystal forms in vugs (cavities) and cracks deeper in the deposits. ( And we refiners think in terms of minute, hours and days to get things to precipitate. You should try geologic time!) The green is annabergite, a nickel arsinide that almost always accompanies silver from this local. With the silver deposits here having been glaciated many times most secondary silver minerals are very, very rare to find. And for everyone here that worries about fineness. This silver is naturally 999 fine. The last shot is what happens to the stuff that's not so nice.

Wow! What a fine silver specimen :shock: ..... I just have to ask, is it for sale? :mrgreen:

Göran

Back