Ace 250

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should work great finding guns and some explosives laying around where ever you use it :shock:
Since you didn't say what you were using it for, this is my assumption of what you are looking for :roll:
If you already own the 250 it will be OK to start with. A good general service unit. but if you need to buy one spend the extra money and get one designed for what you are wanting to do.

Personally, I use mine to hunt gold everywhere and I am using the Garrett AT Gold, which is specially designed for "Gold Prospecting and Detecting". I've had it 8 foot under water and it's as water tight as a ducks crapper :lol:

rich_2137 said:
Just looking to hunt for coins and anything I come across really hammered gold coins would be nice tho!

I've never used that detector but I have an old Whites classic II metal detector and really like it. It doesn't have anything fancy. No display of any kind, just a couple dials. I did find out that it has an internal variable resistor that you can adjust with a tiny screwdriver to set the "ground balance". I don't know if the Ace 250 has that feature but it is a good thing to have.

Like I said, my detector is old, maybe the new ones have automatic ground balance. One of the "tricks" I liked to do with my detector, to show off, was to adjust the ground balance and switch to all metal mode. I could find fired lead bullets with it where they landed. I did find coins, occasionally something old, but mostly just found newer coins as well as junk. You could discriminate out the pull tabs and other worthless junk but many times I dug it up anyway just in case it was something good. They may have gotten better (probably have) but mine wouldn't pick up a gold ring unless the discrimination was set pretty low.

My thought is, if you are just getting started metal detecting, there is no real need to get anything real expensive just for coin hunting. Gold nugget hunting is a little different though and you might need a detector designed for that. I wouldn't suggest getting a toy metal detector though. I think mine was around $200 when I bought it many years ago. At the time I think it was Whites lowest cost detector. I had a Garrett (don't remember the model) and got rid of it because I couldn't get it to pinpoint as well as I hoped it would. The Whites model that I still have is dead on. I can pinpoint exactly where a target is but maybe with more practice I could have figured out the Garrett.

Like any new hobby, it will take a little time to get good at it but it is a fun hobby. I never found much of real value but I expect it had a lot to do with where I hunted. It was still fun though.

Back