my christmas gift

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necromancer

for x-mas my wife bought me a bounty hunter discovery 1100.
its my first detector.

seems to be a ok starter detector, i have already took a few bits of metals out in the yard to test it. (gold, silver, copper nickle coins, my tungsten wedding ring)
did not bury any of the items due to the frozen ground, picked them up inside the range on the lcd screen except that gold & tungsten shows as (other metals)

other metals fits into a large range of metals including pop can pull tabs & iron.

cant wait to get it out there will try coin shooting and see how it goes.

http://bountyhuntermetaldetector.com/bounty_hunter_Metal_Detector_Comparison.htm

very sure the kids will get more use from it then i will but..... thats how it is :roll:

Bounty Hunter is a well made, low cost detector. Its very suitable for finding coins and jewelry. Take it to check out the local school and park playgrounds and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

thank you Chris,

my first try is going to be at the local mall parking lot to scope out the mud left over from the winter snow piles.

Snow piles.jpg

and the bus stops :lol: the bus stops here are just grass, no concrete pad

wish me luck

necromancer said:
thank you Chris,

my first try is going to be at the local mall parking lot to scope out the mud left over from the winter snow piles.

and the bus stops :lol: the bus stops here are just grass, no concrete pad

wish me luck

Be sure to keep us updated on what you find especially in the snow piles. This is one of those tips that I've heard of before but never tried. Sounds like there should be at least a few newer coins to be found there. I know I have dropped coins in parking lots and didn't go chasing them before. Remember where that pile of snow is/was for when the weather warms up too. Could be a good place to go back to in nicer conditions. Probably a lot of garbage mixed in but probably some good stuff too.

It can pay to keep an eye on any likely place people might have dropped some coins or lost some jewelry. If you see a bunch of people sitting on the ground watching a ball game or something at a park, that would be a good place to check for things that might have fallen out of their pockets. Another place is where they have carnivals or fairs. Make a note of where the various concession stands were set up and people might have dropped something while digging around for change to pay for their food or games. It's just like prospecting for gold. You might find a little anywhere but if you search where there is a good chance that the values are more concentrated, you'll spend less time and probably find more.

This hobby can also involve a lot of research if you want it to. Old pictures and newspapers can give you hints of where people used to gather. That way you might have a better chance of finding something older and more valuable. Check out the local library or historical museum for more information on where old houses, churches, schools, parks, swimming holes, etc used to be. Some are probably private property where you would need to get permission to hunt but others might just be in a different part of the park or other public area that's changed over time.

Good luck. I'm sure you will have lots of fun with the new metal detector.

Edit. I don't know how much you know about metal detecting but, another trick I used was to carry a small dish towel with me. I'd dig out a plug of grass and check it with the detector. Then put the dirt on that towel. When you are done, you can easily put the dirt back in the hole and then insert the plug of grass. Step on it and brush the grass a little and you can't even tell you dug it out. Gives metal detecting a bad image if you leave holes and mess up the grass while you are hunting.

Also, it is Your responsibility to learn your areas Metal Detecting Laws""Before"" you go detecting. Where I live, if the property is ""public"", detecting if Forbidden.
That includes schools, local parks, government lands and most other public lands.
The fines are nasty and can include jail if you are caught again. Also, they search your property for any items they "think" you have found on public lands :shock:

You are expected to know this in California. Ignorance of the law is actually another violation with fine :shock:

Necromancer,
Checking the snow piles is "cool" if you want coffee money for Tim Hortons. But, it may get a little boring after the snow's gone. This idea takes a little homework (like everything else on this site) but is alot more rewarding. Your info here shows you to be from Canada, and you brought up the Ontario heritage act, I suspect you're from Ontario. likewise.
In the 1880's almost every county in Ontario issued a "historical atlas" these have every township, lot and concession shown. Along with almost every building existing at that time. Most public libraries have reprints of these you can browse, or they are now all online at http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/ Most old township concessions have not moved in the last 120 years. Compare these old maps against the satellite photos on Google earth, Look for the lots that had buildings then, but not today. Habitation. People lost stuff back then too. Most farmers have no clue that there used to be a house in the middle of their field. Go early in the spring before crops are in. You'll seldom get turned down. Most of these sites have never been hunted before, and you get to collect old junk! Some of it's even good junk. Beats picking up pocket change. and bits of rusty Fords that fell off during the winter. Hope this helps. It's almost foolproof. I've been searching these sites for years and have alot of interesting finds from them. No hoards of gold coins.... Yet! Try it you'll like it.
Rob.

torscot said:
Necromancer,
Checking the snow piles is "cool" if you want coffee money for Tim Hortons. But, it may get a little boring after the snow's gone. This idea takes a little homework (like everything else on this site) but is alot more rewarding. Your info here shows you to be from Canada, and you brought up the Ontario heritage act, I suspect you're from Ontario. likewise.
In the 1880's almost every county in Ontario issued a "historical atlas" these have every township, lot and concession shown. Along with almost every building existing at that time. Most public libraries have reprints of these you can browse, or they are now all online at http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/ Most old township concessions have not moved in the last 120 years. Compare these old maps against the satellite photos on Google earth, Look for the lots that had buildings then, but not today. Habitation. People lost stuff back then too. Most farmers have no clue that there used to be a house in the middle of their field. Go early in the spring before crops are in. You'll seldom get turned down. Most of these sites have never been hunted before, and you get to collect old junk! Some of it's even good junk. Beats picking up pocket change. and bits of rusty Fords that fell off during the winter. Hope this helps. It's almost foolproof. I've been searching these sites for years and have alot of interesting finds from them. No hoards of gold coins.... Yet! Try it you'll like it.
Rob.

thank you, very helpful.
i have about 60 doc's from the late 18xx to the late 1990's of my town. i have done plenty of research. google earth has been my friend to.
along with a few detector forums, i am staying away from the bigger public parks for now, i see people detecting all the time

just so its clear, my post said that:

"my first try is going to be at the local mall parking lot to scope out the mud left over from the winter snow piles."

this is my "test batch" for my very first detector run, people loose money, car keys & there gold in the mall parking lot. i know this cause as a youngster i would go to the yorkdale shopping mall & dig through the mud from the melted snow piles with my friends, we found lots of change & a few gold, silver rings, chains, earrings & we got very dirty (very dirty) we would also go there at night, when the wind was blowing strong all day. walk around the fence & grab all the dollar bills that were stuck to it that people didn't want to chase down 8)

i didn't want to go knocking on doors asking people if i can detect on there personal land until "after" i know how to use my metal detector.

also if i find two bucks in dimes and nickles in the mud at the mall there is always a tim's close by to get a extra large 3 cream 4 sugars.

sorry, i didn't mean to sound like i was going placer prospecting in the mud at the mall, but if i have learned one thing here on the GRF is that if your not going to do lots of reading & research you may not want to start working on the project.

plus i didn't want to tell people all about the 2 lane expansion of the major road by my place and how buildings that have been there for 150 years have been moved off there foundations, due to local eminent domain laws, i wanted to be the first one there :!: (shhhh, dont tell anyone please)
the new road went right up to the front doors of these old houses & since x-mas i have been hoping for the spring to come quick.

Dave C.

Dave,
Sounds like you're going to have some fun. If you want to go out relic hunting sometime after the snow melts, or June, whatever comes first. Drop me a PM. I am in Guelph. I am all over the province digging holes. Have a good summer. Good luck.
Rob.

torscot said:
Dave,
Sounds like you're going to have some fun. If you want to go out relic hunting sometime after the snow melts, or June, whatever comes first. Drop me a PM. I am in Guelph. I am all over the province digging holes. Have a good summer. Good luck.
Rob.

well Rob,

my wife sent me out today to buy new oak flooring for our whole main floor, she also wants me to rip out the kitchen cabinets & buy new ones, make her some butcher block counter tops, re-tile the kitchen & the bathroom floors, and most of all fix up all the 1/2 jobs i have left over to do from last summer :oops:

this will be done by myself because our 2 teenagers are way to busy playing video games to give me a hand :x

looks like i will be lucky if i get to the melted snow piles.

but you never know.........

necromancer said:
(snip)
this will be done by myself because our 2 teenagers are way to busy playing video games to give me a hand :x
I never had that problem with my kids. I allowed them to have what ever electronic toys they could afford to buy with their own money, with no strings attached.
But they were required to do chores to use the electricity :shock: :lol:

Kids are tough with no set of instructions to guide you.'
But as we had to do, if you want something, work for it.

My son lives with the "X" and spoiled him his whole life. 3 laptops and several other electronics later, He finally desided to try and take care of stuff. I refused to give him things cause he doesn't take care of stuff.

B.S.

niteliteone said:
necromancer said:
(snip)
I never had that problem with my kids. I allowed them to have what ever electronic toys they could afford to buy with their own money, with no strings attached.
But they were required to do chores to use the electricity :shock: :lol:

believe me i tried, but i am not the only decision maker when it comes to the children.

i will try that though, will tell them if i put down a new floor they can't walk on it unless they help :p
they will take out all the garbage i will be ripping out, 2 days ago i got them a brand new quad core desktop & in there rush to get it all set up they pulled the receptacle right out of the wall, i gave them this huge story how i needed to tear out the wall and rewire the box 8)
fixed it this morning in 10 minutes, it was great to see them sweat about having to wait to use the new computer LOL

they were arguing yesterday about who would get to use it first (its going to be me)

Pantherlikher said:
Kids are tough with no set of instructions to guide you.'
But as we had to do, if you want something, work for it.

My son lives with the "X" and spoiled him his whole life. 3 laptops and several other electronics later, He finally decided to try and take care of stuff. I refused to give him things cause he doesn't take care of stuff.

B.S.

there is no shortage of laptops in my house, i have 2 (work & play box), my wife has 2 + a tablet, older son has 2, younger son has 1 + a tablet (kids need one at school, no pens and paper anymore), 3 yo daughter has a XO tablet + everyone has super phones except me.

there good kids though, taken into account that there nothing like i was when i was a teenager is a really good thing !! (i was a terror)
minus the fact that i always had to work for my money, but there staying in school by choice. none of there friends or themselves has ever tried smoking or drinking, no tattoos, piercings or blue hair :lol:

i do my best to make sure that life is good for them as long as they stay on the right side of the tracks !

i left school when i was about 10 or 11 years old, by that age i was already smoking (not only cigarettes) & drinking, getting in trouble with the law
which was not hard in the place that i grew up, but at the same time i was working. doing all types of little things.
cutting grass & digging gardens, fixing bikes, working with the truckers folding the moving pads at the local hotel parking lot, digging in the trash at the factories by my house & selling it. everything from socks to jeans to loose tobacco & lamp parts, collecting beer bottles in the parks.......

just a little history how my life was very different from how my kids are growing up, & i am very happy that i have never told them stories of most parts of my younger years.

hello all,

sunday night i went out to the local large park with my detector to see what i could find, its always busy there in the summer
i was there for about 2 hours & ready to give up after only finding gatorade bottle seals & beer bottle caps.

as i was on my way back to my van with my metal detector in my hand and turned off i noticed a little sparkle in the grass
so i swiped the area with my foot and to my pleasant surprise this is what i found.

not sure what it is made from, outside of the ring looks gold, size 10 mens.
there is 2 spamps, 1 = 18k, 1 = 750. and the front of the ring is slightly magnetic, going to drill a hole in the front to see if its a tungsten plate
i am guessing that its one of those "made in china rings"

ring.jpg

Claudie said:
necromancer said:
it's brass

oh well

That sucks, but there seem to be a lot of them out there. Never trust hallmarks :|

there was no hallmark / makers mark, just the gold stamps. (18K & 750)

here in canada i never see gold for sale with british karat stamps, my first thought was "made in china" and we dont know where they will end up so we will stamp them with 2 quality stamps.......

Back