A bit of gold...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno Chris

In the last few weeks, I've had a chance to try out a new detector by Minelab the SDC 2300. Its very sensitive to small targets, waterproof to 10 ft., amazingly resistant to coil falsing on grass and rocks, rugged, compact and easy to use. I've had excellent luck with it so far - 8 nuggets the first day out, 6 nuggets the second. The total weight is about 5 grams. I plan to be using this detector quite a bit the rest of this year.

Attachments

• sdc_gold01.jpg
    sdc_gold01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 455
Chris that's lovely. I do wish we could do this in high yielding places in the UK mate.

spaceships said:
Chris that's lovely. I do wish we could do this in high yielding places in the UK mate.

Don't hold your breath mate we got raided by every early civilisation that found us and the easy gold was stripped out millennia ago, the only things left are odd nuggets and lots of rocks with trapped values that cost as much to process as they are worth.
The Romans raped the island 2000 years ago and had slave labour to do it so don't believe there is much left even at today's value of gold.
I wish we could go panning and metal detecting for gold but it isn't going to happen on this over crowded and well search isle!

As you say nick the easy stuff went with the Romans but panning for gold isn't impossible, been there, hard work for little result but still possible on our little island.

Chris,

Very nice! It doesn't look like those nugs have travelled very far. They still look fairly sharp and angular. Do you feel you're close to the source?

Dave

Do you feel you're close to the source?

Pretty much right there.

A friend of mine traveled to the UK and did some panning in Scotland. You do have good laws concerning hunting old stuff in agricultural fields. I wish we had those laws.

Chris did you state what detector you bought? Been looking at new models but haven't pulled the trigger.

I have always thought Reno Chris was one of the "big guys" his experience in the field of mining and his help to the forum has made him one of the "big guys in this field" in my mind.

Nice gold Reno, it does look like you are very close to the source, where the gold deposit is located, by the shape of those nuggets, it may be interesting to dig around there some more.

I have always liked your interesting endeavors and enjoy hearing about them, and really like all of the helpful advice you provide on the forum especially where minerals and gold is concerned.

You guys are way too kind. I'm just another guy with some similar interests participating in the forum here.

And yep, I will be digging around the spot where these came from with pick and shovel within the next few days.

nickvc said:
spaceships said:

Don't hold your breath mate we got raided by every early civilisation that found us and the easy gold was stripped out millennia ago, the only things left are odd nuggets and lots of rocks with trapped values that cost as much to process as they are worth.
The Romans raped the island 2000 years ago and had slave labour to do it so don't believe there is much left even at today's value of gold.
I wish we could go panning and metal detecting for gold but it isn't going to happen on this over crowded and well search isle!
Theres plenty of gold in UK.Perhaps not in the quantities in Alaska.etc.Remember gold is always replacing its self in the rivers n burns.The romans Mined gold at DOLGELLUand CLOGAU,St Davids mine,at Bonlddu,nr Barmouth also in WALES.
In Scotland there are many many source to sluice or pan for gold.TYNDRUM, and WENLOCKHEAD/LEADHILLS.to name two.
Theres a commercial gold mine on the cononish at Tyndrum,owned by Scotish Gold.on stand by.Of course we are leasure panners/prospectors.and do it for the fun.not to get "Rich".

A friend of mine visited Scotland a few years ago and had the opportunity to go out and prospect for gold at a place where it had been found for many years. He got some nice color, no large amounts, but was still happy to get some UK placer gold. He also detected in a farmers field and got an old gold coin.

IXL said:
nickvc said:
spaceships said:

Theres plenty of gold in UK.Perhaps not in the quantities in Alaska.etc.Remember gold is always replacing its self in the rivers n burns.The romans Mined gold at DOLGELLUand CLOGAU,St Davids mine,at Bonlddu,nr Barmouth also in WALES.
In Scotland there are many many source to sluice or pan for gold.TYNDRUM, and WENLOCKHEAD/LEADHILLS.to name two.
Theres a commercial gold mine on the cononish at Tyndrum,owned by Scotish Gold.on stand by.Of course we are leasure panners/prospectors.and do it for the fun.not to get "Rich".

Ahh strangely enough I have had a pan in my hands at Dolgellau with a pleasant chap called Merrion who sadly I cannot track down anywhere these days. He knew an awful lot about panning.

Back