Check out what this guy found with a radio shack detector

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdoc

http://historical.ha.com/common/info/press/default.php?ReleaseID=1475

Was this found in Texas? The story only says "It was found in the Sonora Desert near Caborca, Mexico in 1989 by a local man using a metal detector he'd just bought at Radio Shack. It was prominently displayed last year in the American Museum of Natural History in New York City."

Answered my own question with a search;
Sonora desert is near Arizona, that makes more sense than Texas.

if pieces like this, even half this it would be easy to see how the treasure ships got loaded with reported and unreported cargo :D

To me, it looks like a caricature of an old man with a huge tongue. :p

Well, maybe it's because it's 2 A.M.

droooool
I've only found 1 gold ring with mine.
word of note when you do get your first metal detector and head out all excited spending hours at the beach , school yards, and parks on your first day.
do not lift any heavy vessels of acids the next day. your shoulder muscles on the hand you used may just fail you. I dropped a load of dishes that way.
lol
joe

I've found a Gold brioche with my "Bounty Hunter".
Several relics, a few silver coins, and multiple Lincoln Cents, both copper and zinc filled.
Lots of other misc items as well.

It's a fun Hobby.

I look for old homesteads to metal detect, and parks second, unless I get an opportunity to scan ground on some "Century Old Farm" somewhere, then that becomes choice #2.

I've found a couple of Manganese Veins with it as well.

Just sharing what I've found, and what my Favorite Detecting Grounds are.

Sincerely; Rick."The Rock Man".

Richard36 said:
Several relics, a few silver coins, and multiple Lincoln Cents, both copper and zinc filled.

It's a fun Hobby.

I look for old homesteads to metal detect, and parks second, unless I get an opportunity to scan ground on some "Century Old Farm" somewhere, then that becomes choice #2.

I had 3 diffrent Bounty Hunters & one of them was private labeled for RadioShack.
IMHO, the BH combines depth, lightweight, sensitive & ACCURATE discrimination & ground balancing
with what used to be a very modest outlay in cash. Prices, even on used ones is now so ridiculous that I refuse to buy one at those prices.

I do miss the search, though.

Rick - do you use yours when prospecting? i found that when I ground balanced/discriminated enough to filter
out "hot rocks" it also missed finer PMs.

dtectr said:
Richard36 said:

It's a fun Hobby.

I had 3 diffrent Bounty Hunters & one of them was private labeled for RadioShack.
IMHO, the BH combines depth, lightweight, sensitive & ACCURATE discrimination & ground balancing
with what used to be a very modest outlay in cash. Prices, even on used ones is now so ridiculous that I refuse to buy one at those prices.

Rick - do you use yours when prospecting? i found that when I ground balanced/discriminated enough to filter

I use it occasionally when I'm out prospecting.
Not often though.

Screen out "Hot Rocks"?
Never! lol! :lol:

If my detector will beep on it,
it gets picked up, and further investigation done on it later,
especially if it has any sort of heft at all.

If a metal detector beeps on it, it is either a Meteorite, or an Ore of some sort.
Either way, I'm checking it out.

Richard36 said:
dtectr said:
Richard36 said:

It's a fun Hobby.

I use it occasionally when I'm out prospecting.
Not often though.

Screen out "Hot Rocks"?
Never! lol! :lol:

If my detector will beep on it,
it gets picked up, and further investigation done on it later,
especially if it has any sort of heft at all.

If a metal detector beeps on it, it is either a Meteorite, or an Ore of some sort.
Either way, I'm checking it out.

Amen! "Dig EVERYTHING!"

dtectr said:
Amen! "Dig EVERYTHING!"

Pretty much,
and for certain if I'm out in the woods some where.

If your 20 plus miles from the nearest civilization,
Forget all about discrimination, and dig every beep you get.

If it is an iron tone, it most likely will be a relic or a Meteorite,

Unless your detector is like mine, and the tone for gold is the same as for Iron.
The discrimination for iron is what separates the two.

Dig em all, let the acids sort em out! lol!

Back